PowerColor 5770 Eyefinity 5 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
HEXUS.net - News :: PowerColor readies Radeon HD 5770 Eyefinity with five DisplayPort outputs : Page - 1/1

PowerColor has a history of producing special-edition Radeon graphics cards. The company had another such model on display at CeBIT 2010. Can you see why this Radeon HD 5770 is different?

2mcvs4n.jpg

Clocked in at the same 850MHz core and 4,800MHz memory as the original, the main difference lies with the choices made over the card's outputs.

jzhf0o.jpg

A peek at the back highlights five mini-DisplayPort connectors that give the card its full name of Radeon HD 5770 Eyefinity5 edition.

We know that AMD is busy readying a Radeon HD 5870 card with six DisplayPort outputs, which it pitches as a high-end multi-monitor gaming solution, but PowerColor reckons it makes as much sense on a mid-range 5-series model.

We're not entirely sure why the outputs are limited to five rather than six and PowerColor's explanation that it's a technical limitation doesn't resonate with us, yet we can see a use for it for folk who want a five-monitor output more for productivity than gaming - the GPU simply won't cut it for 3D duties.

PowerColor informs us that the Eyefinity5 card will only carry a small premium over the rest of its 5770 line of GPUs. Expect to see it fairly soon and start saving up those pennies for five monitors if it has whetted your appetite.

Any 5xxx series card will support Eyefinity I I believe, just have to grab an active active displayport adapter or a monitor with native displayport.

No problem. I just re-read my post...apparently I like to type at least one word twice out of every sentence :p

Five outputs would be great, but i would prefer six and to have them in a 2x3 orientation, otherwise a 1x5 would actually be head turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom