PhysX: What Readers Think

Status
Not open for further replies.
A PhysX card alone isn't a video card, remember, the original Ageia PhysX cards, which Nvidia bought to bring PhysX to ONLY Nvidia was made to work along side the video card NOT as a secondary GPU. Nvidia could easily continue to do what Ageia did, by releasing a card that works along side the GPU, not as a secondary GPU.... Hence some of the new tech that was developed to have a physics card between the GPUS on a SLI and Crossfire systems to increase the performance, but it never happened because Nvidia bought Ageia out.

Any nvidia video card from 8 series and up is better and faster than the original physx cards were.

And the physx drivers make the second card work with the first one, it makes any card a physx card. The driver limitation is not nvidia's fault.....microsoft needs a fix for it.

And the latest drivers allow you to have that third card for physx only along with your SLI cards, or you can run SLI with physx enabled on both cards.

A PhysX card alone isn't a video card, remember, the original Ageia PhysX cards, which Nvidia bought to bring PhysX to ONLY Nvidia was made to work along side the video card NOT as a secondary GPU. Nvidia could easily continue to do what Ageia did, by releasing a card that works along side the GPU, not as a secondary GPU.... Hence some of the new tech that was developed to have a physics card between the GPUS on a SLI and Crossfire systems to increase the performance, but it never happened because Nvidia bought Ageia out.

that is correct. the older AGEIA physx cards will work in vista with a ATI card. but you cant have a nvidia 8 series or higher card as a dedicated physx card and a ATI card as your primary GPU.

i think what vern is trying to say is that you CAN NOT have a ATI card installed and another nvidia card installed and working at the same time if you are running vista. vista does not support 2 diff video card drivers. as far as XP you can, win 7 i am not sure about.

no he was trying to say in vista you cant have an ati card and a nvidia physx card. i explained you can as you do not install video drivers for the nvidia gpu i think he thought u needed to install video drivers to run a dedicated physx gpu but you do not. so what you speak of in vista will not affect having a dedicated nvidia gpu for physx.

what i am saying is you can have any 8 series and up card running as a physx card with ati. you install physx drivers not video drivers in vista. i have seen this be done. YOU INSTAL PHYSX DRIVERS NOT VIDEO DRIVERS then you avoid the problem of 2 video drivers in vista. the card will no longer read as a secondary gpu. it will be like one of the former ageia cards and it will run much faster then them.

NVIDIA PhysX System Software

that is a gpu physx driver allowing any 8 series or up to run physx with out needing a video driver. i hope i have finaly cleared this up.

i had not heard about just installing the physx system software. does this realy work?

it will work you then go to your nvidia physx properties and select gforce acceleration. under the settings tab.

i discovered this when uninstalling video drivers for one of my cards in server 08, vista build. it has a basic video driver built in to the os. i then went to my physx properties as i did not uninstall the physx drivers i clicked geforce acceleration ran one of the demos it worked. i then went back turned off geforce acceleration and the physx was the software rendering and you can tell the difference trust me. they also have a benchmark online you can run as well tests physx performance. but i ran physx acceleration with out any nvidia video drivers installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom