OCZ Z Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
Who would of guessed that exactly OCZ will be able to achieve the unachieveble. At CeBIT the famous overclocking memory and peripherals maker has demoed Z Drive, a PCI-Express x8 connection storage device that boasts four 256 GB (MLC-equipped) solid-state drives in RAID 0 setup. In total we get 1 TB space and 256 MB of data cache. Put this into a system with a Core i7 965 EE CPU and an ASUS P6T motherboard, get some external power for the drives, and you'll easily reach transfer speeds at up to 712 MB/s read, 500 MB/s write as well as almost zero access time, a dream come true. Now the bad news, the Z Drive is obviously going to cost a lot, about $1500 to be more precise.

techPowerUp! News :: OCZ Demos 1 TB RAID0 Solid-State Drive with Unbelievable Transfer Speeds

With SATA 3.0 coming out soon, that is a fruitless attempt.

SATA 3.0 expected to see a huge increase in transfer speeds? I haven't done any reading.

And why the heck is it white? Ew.

Looks fun. I wouldn't pay 1500$ Unless I was rich. then I would for sure.

and... white? ew :/

Not really as you can't boot to it with it using the PCIe slot.... And SATA3 supposedly has twice the throughput SATA2 has. Now the drives alone, yea, they may be worth it, but I would rather them all be in a normal setup, not above a high end graphics card or below that can cause some serious heat issues...

it was a joke. Never in my life would I think any hard drive is worth $1500. Yes I would agree having it in a hard drive bay would be better for both the gpu and the ssd for air flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom