Nvidia's nForce 730i Arrives (Great for Intel based HTPCs !)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
Back to the similarities. nForce 730i and G45 both include individual PCI Express x16 slots compliant with the 2.0 specification. On G45, you'd use that slot as a reprieve from the anemic integrated core, replacing it completely with a discrete board. GeForce 9300 gives you two options: either populate the slot with a high-end card and shut off the integrated core altogether, or add a discrete GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 8500 GT card to enable GeForce Boost. We've covered the basic functionality of GeForce Boost already. In short, it works similarly to SLI, leveraging the mGPU and a discrete GPU cooperatively.

For the rest of G45's base functionality, you have to move away from the Intel's memory controller hub and down to its ICH10 controller—the southbridge in any other language. A 2 GB/s interface connects the two components. Although it's loaded down with 12 USB 2.0 ports offering 480 Mb/s of throughput each, six PCI Express x1 slots able to move 500 MB/s apiece, Gigabit Ethernet, six SATA 3 Gb/s ports, and a High Definition Audio controller, Intel apparently doesn't see there being any issues with bandwidth.

Nvidia circumvents that challenge altogether by using a single-chip design. The same component hosting the GeForce 9300 graphics and memory controller also delivers four PCI Express x1 slots (2.0 versus Intel's 1.1), six SATA ports, Gigabit Ethernet, 12 USB 1.0 ports 7.1-channel LPCM HD Audio, and five standard PCI slots. As with Intel, Nvidia's storage subsystem supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, and 5 arrays, too.

,3-1-163405-3.jpg

Full story
Move Over G45: Nvidia's nForce 730i Arrives : Introduction - Tom's Hardware

Also, check the gaming benchmark for the new IGP (geforce 9300) in that review.

EDIT: here is another review that have gaming benchmarks
Nvidia's GeForce 9300 chipset - The Tech Report - Page 7

no.. definitely not. the e7200 scores about 500 points higher in PassMark which does a pretty good job of measuring different proc's. the 5400+x2 is comparable to a e4500... not even close to a e7200

The E5200 is the slowest current gen Intel dual core and it is still faster than the 5400+ x2 so they can't really avoid the Intel setup having a cpu advantage.

yeah but they could have used an older chip, I.E. the e4500... and the 5400x2+ isn't the 'newest gen' amd dual core.

Even at stock the e7200 is still a good bit faster than a 5400+ though...

They should downclock the e7200 some.. or use a newer CPU from AMD and overclock it some then test it

Good chipset though

Even at stock the e7200 is still a good bit faster than a 5400+ though...

They should downclock the e7200 some.. or use a newer CPU from AMD and overclock it some then test it

Good chipset though

Definitely a good idea to downclock it, otherwise like stated you dont know who's pulling the weight....

Or, use an OC'd Black Edition Phenom and a E8500 and try to remove the CPU as a limiting factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom