Nvidia ION Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikaricloud

Golden Master
Didn't see any topics about this thing, so I figured I'd post. I was browsing about, found myself on guru3d, and saw this article:

NVIDIA ION platform review | preview

Here it is:

imageview.php

nVidia plus Atom = pretty sweet.

The GF9400 completely owns the 945GC in every way imaginable, according to the specs on page 2. Not to mention with the gpu support, it can play full HD with almost no stutter. And let's not forget the low power consumption. Also, a couple of notable features:

"...powerful enough to play HD video (8 - 40 Mbps H.264). A notable feature also is that Ion has full support for 8-channel LPCM over HDMI. If that doesn't suit your needs, Optical TOSLINK or even analog connectors are possible. Connectivity wise it's more capable than most motherboards offer."

That's pretty sweet, especially considering it's this big:

imageview.php

While it's not something for us custom builders, overclockers, and hardware enthusiasts, but it's still pretty impressive to see what technology can do nowadays. This thing would be a good HTPC, aye?

I saw this the other day. Not bad. It should give netbooks/sub-notebooks some decent graphical power. Too bad you need a magnifying glass to see the screen. :p

^^ Indeed. :p But the thing that bothered me about the netbooks even more than the small screen was the lame-o specs. I mean heck, you could buy one of those instead of portable dvd player. I would totally do it.

...usb DVD drive? D:

I've never actually LOOKED at the netbooks because I hated the performance, so I didn't know they didn't have them. :[ I'm stupid. Lmao.

...usb DVD drive? D:

I've never actually LOOKED at the netbooks because I hated the performance, so I didn't know they didn't have them. :[ I'm stupid. Lmao.

The performance isn't nearly as bad as you would think. The 1.6ghz Atom n270 is easily as fast in general usage as the Mobile Sepron 3100+ in my old laptop although the atom feels more responsive..

Oh, I know it's good for general usage...but I never just use a computer for general usage, lol. Hence why I haven't looked at netbooks so much.

I mean, my macbook doesn't even do what I want it to do sometimes when it comes to creating music using FL Studio, I have to throw the buffer way up. I figured the netbooks would be even worse in that aspect.

I can't wait to start seeing this technology in netbooks and such though, it's going to be really interesting...it would have been even better if they shoved the dual core atom in there instead of the single core, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom