NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

I usually get a new graphics card every year.
The fact that GF100 is 6 months late, expensive and consumed a lot of power makes it a poor choice against my 5870.

Wattage? I think I *mite* be able to afford paying for 155w, as should anyone who spends $400+ on a gfx card.

It means the video card is inefficient. Where do you draw the line? "1KW video card? Great! It beats a 5970 by 30%!"

It means the video card is inefficient. Where do you draw the line? "1KW video card? Great! It beats a 5970 by 30%!"

By that standard all video cards are 'inefficient'. Efficient GPUs should experience little or no power loss. where do YOU draw the line?

Ultimately it's not a deal breaker for me if I have to pay for 300W extra with a pair of 480's over a pair of 5870's. Everyone's gonna have a different 'line' they draw where performance gain won't justify the price they're paying. Even if you earn just $12.50 an hour you could buy one of these in a week, and to pay for the extra power you'd have to work 2 hours more a MONTH.

I just want to be able to play the games I have and will have, do the work I do, etc.
To me, at the end of the day, if I'm running my games faster and they're looking better than yours and Photoshop is working faster, then I couldn't give two hoots if you come up to me and say 'well MY system is using less power'.

edit: btw, sorry if this post comes off a bit rough. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything and you make a good point.

By that standard all video cards are 'inefficient'. Efficient GPUs should experience little or no power loss. where do YOU draw the line?

Video Cards are inefficient, but this video card is the most inefficient of all the innefficients. Its the village idiot in the village of idiots.

I draw the line for power consumption anywhere speed starts to not increase by a similar factor when power consumption is increased.

I mean really, they are not all as bad as you guys make them sound. Sure they're louder, hotter, and draw a good bit more power but I see this more as an enthusiast card. Not a mainstream card.

If Nvidia were to do a die shrink on this thing and cut the power needed and heat output, it would be an awesome card. I will admit that it is better than I figured it would be coming out of the gate, but it's power and heat issues are going to hurt it in the long run.

ATI is moving in the right direction by trying to reduce the power draw and heat output. Hopefully Nvidia will begin moving in this direction, too.

I mean really, they are not all as bad as you guys make them sound. Sure they're louder, hotter, and draw a good bit more power but I see this more as an enthusiast card. Not a mainstream card.

No one every said they thought it was a mainstream card... They ARE enthusiast products. But just because someone is an enthusiast doesn't mean they don't care about noise, heat, power draw, etc.

If Nvidia were to do a die shrink on this thing and cut the power needed and heat output, it would be an awesome card.

Agree.

...But just because someone is an enthusiast doesn't mean they don't care about noise, heat, power draw, etc.

Agree.

edit: btw, sorry if this post comes off a bit rough. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything and you make a good point.

Dont even worry about it. Never came off that way.

Anandtech Review said:
Unlike everything else which has the GTX 480 running twice as fast as the GTX 285, the GTX 480 is a fewtimes faster than the GTX 285 when it comes to folding. Here a GTX 480 would get roughly 3.5x as much work done per day as a GTX 285.
If that holds true for PPD.... then one GTX480 would put out about 31k PPD... That's crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom