NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

^?

The only thing that bothers me is the noise of those cards. talk about loud! lol

He did test all the cards out in the open though, e.g. not enclosed and walled off in a case. I dunno why they tested them out of the case, my temps are better *in* my case than out of it.

What I'm wondering is...how well will these fold

After reading the Anandtech review Fermi certainly looks like a flop to me, the 10 to 15% increase in performance doesn't some close to justifying the massive increase in power consumption and 6 month delay. Heck the fan on a GTX 480 draws more power than an entire HD 58xx card does at idle. Also the performance difference is small enough that a HD 5870 2gb with higher stock clocks could go a long way to neutralizing Fermi's lead.

The strategy nvidia is currently following seems doomed to fail in the long run. Since they use the same fabs as AMD they will have the same manufacturing capabilities and wafer costs. This means they need to be able to compete with similar sized dies in order to be price competitive and atm that just isn't happening.

When you look at benchmarks, you should check to see if they're using Catalyst 10.2 or 10.3a/10.3 WDM
And heat. And wattage.
Yes, this is something I really like about my 5870 compared to my 4870's. It hardly produces much heat at all.

Nup sorry. Nvidia messed up. The cooling is struggling to keep it under 100 C... and it uses just under half a KW in power. Plus everyone is saying it has the sound of a jet engine.

Its not worth it. To ATI i go.

EDIT: Plus ATI apparently have a decent margin to play with for price drops which will make buying one of these nvidia cards next to impossible.

^lol, love the sig :grin:

I think I'll bite the bullet and go wc, I wouldn't want to leave something running 24/7 at 95c

Your calculator is different than mine because $499 x 2=$998, according to mine. I paid more for (2) 280GTX's, they were $600 a piece when they came out.

I was thinking CAD :p %13 tax added on soo. ~1200 when all's said and done.

Nup sorry. Nvidia messed up. The cooling is struggling to keep it under 100 C... and it uses just under half a KW in power. Plus everyone is saying it has the sound of a jet engine.

Its not worth it. To ATI i go.

EDIT: Plus ATI apparently have a decent margin to play with for price drops which will make buying one of these nvidia cards next to impossible.
If both GPU's were getting exactly the same yields, and the number of GPU's that fit on a wafer was exactly proportional to die size (they're not, but the actual figures would favor ATI both ways), then it would cost 2/3 as much for a Cypress GPU.

Of course, Cypress is getting higher yields, and can fit more than 3/2 the number of GPU's on a wafer than GF100 (with wafers being round, there's less wasted space with smaller dies). So the cost to manufacture would probably closer to about half.

I don't care when a card's release or who made it, if it's faster than the others out there I want it! Heat? who cares so long as it doesn't negatively affect your fps. Wattage? I think I *mite* be able to afford paying for 155w, as should anyone who spends $400+ on a gfx card.

Sure you might not care when they get released, but I would bet money that a large portion of the people who waited for Fermi care and are disappointed with Nvidia right about now.

155W may not sound like a lot but when you add multiple cards it starts adding up. And sure when you don't game or stress the card that often it's not a huge issue (I'm talking about electricity cost), but again when you start adding cards and using them on 100% load 24/7, thats probably 750W or more you are looking at and depending on where you live could add $40-$50 (possibly more) to your monthly bill.

And heat... That card may not care (drop fps) but the other components in your case will.

And I'll give a +1 to puddle's statement. The direction Nvidia is taking their GPU market isn't a good one.

they're expanding too fast too soon imho

tegra 2, optimus, fermi and who knows what else...

good ambition, but their engineering team can't keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom