NVIDIA 185.85 Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
I installed this new set of drivers a few days ago. I uninstalled just the display drivers in the Control Panel, rebooted, the used the installer for the 185.85. Installation was fine, they just seem to worsen the performance from the last drivers. I've heard a few other people have the same problem. I'm just wondering if this is a issue with the drivers or a hardware issue with the new drivers? There is another problem, nHancer is giving me a nvapps.xml problem, then when I try to change settings for a profile, it says there is a checksum error for the same xml file. This seems to be a driver problem also, not 100% sure. So here is an overview of what I'm asking:
-Did I install the new drivers right? Or was I supposed to remove all of the NVIDIA drivers?
-Is the performance issue due to these new drivers and is it happening to everyone?
-Is the xml issue due to the new drivers?

I wasn't totally sure if this was the right place to post this, I put it here since the drivers are new.

Edit: I fixed the nHancer problem, if you are having the same problem you can download a fixed nvapp.xml file here. I guess it had to do with the "itemtype=predefined" line. Here is the original post explaining the fix.

I use the same drivers and I did not notice any loss of performance, and I regularly run FRAPS benchmarks while I play and save all the data. I have no XML / checksum problem.

I would recommend downloading Driver Cleaner, uninstalling the drivers in the Control Panel, then restarting into safe mode, running Driver Cleaner and using it to clean all nVidia GRAPHICS drivers (do not clean the mobo etc ones if you have an nForce mbo). Then restarting back into safe mode, installing the new drivers, then restarting normally.

I'll try that. Yeah I have nForce mobo drivers now. Thanks for the tip, I will tell you how it goes when I'm finished.

Edit: Seemed to work pretty good, solved the performance issue I'm pretty sure. Thanks a lot! I don't know what I would do if you guys weren't here haha.

Glad to be of help. Drivers, especially GPU ones, tend to leave old bits and pieces behind from time to time. It is a good idea to always use that procedure to update them.

Ok, I was thinking about this today and I have a few questions (didn't want to start a new topic since this was already here). When I run driver cleaner, in the filter options there is only a Nvidia option but no option to choose just graphic drivers or motherboard drivers. I am using the Pro version, it was a free download, I think the link is broken now though (I don't have the original link, but I've been searching for it and whenever I find it the link is removed). So here are my questions:

1. Am I using the right program?
2. I have been using the general Nvidia option in the program and it seems to not have messed with the nForce drivers as far as corrupting them, is there any chance of corruption if I don't uninstall the nForce drivers at the same time with the same procedure as the graphic drivers?
3. If I uninstall the motherboard graphics to install the new ones, will my PC boot correctly?
4. In the uninstallation options for the Nvidia drivers in the control panel, besides the nForce and display drivers, there is also Ethernet and Mediashield options. What are these?

To get the new driver installers I use the tool on Nvidia's site (NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Automatically Find Drivers For My NVIDIA Products). I get Graphic and Motherboard driver options there (have to use IE though, I don't think it supports GC yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom