No More Nvidia Chipsets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
I found this over at OC.net

Nvidia has decided to throw in the towel and quit the chipset business, sources close to the situation at one of Taiwan's top motherboard makers have revealed. As the story is told, Nvidia called a meeting earlier this week with its motherboard partners to gauge support for it continuing to develop chipsets in the future.

The motherboard makers' response? Silence.

It is still early days and not all the facts are known at the time of writing, but it is believed Nvidia will transfer the chipset team to working on GPU projects. On the motherboard makers' side, some makers have already canceled upcoming high-end motherboard projects based on the nForce 7-series chipset.

The loss of its chipset business is expected to have a significant impact on Nvidia's GPU business in the short-term. Reception to the nForce 200 chip (BR04) which will enable SLI technology on Intel X58 motherboards has been lukewarm at best, with many makers saying they will not bother adding the chip on their boards. This means Nvidia needs to find a way of licensing and enabling multi-GPU support on motherboards using Intel and/or AMD chipsets fast. Otherwise it will have to cede the top-end of the graphics card market to AMD, which now has the benefit of Crossfire.

The news would also debunk any recent speculation that Apple will be adopting Nvidia chipsets for its upcoming notebook products. It would be unfortunate if Apple really has poured water on the close relationship it has built with Intel over the past few years, only to have its new best friend exit the market before products are even announced.

Nvidia to quit chipset business

More:
Overclock.net - Overclocking.net - View Single Post - [INQ] 790i mobos pulled by makers
Overclock.net - Overclocking.net - View Single Post - [INQ] 790i mobos pulled by makers
790i chipset issues: NVIDIA and vendors give their views :: HEXUS.channel - Essential IT business intelligence

Crazy ****... 750i FTW is the last?

It would be nice if they let sli work on all intel chipsets. Wasn't the only thing limiting sli to nvidia chipsets the drivers?

If I could run sli on say a Biostar p45 I would be much more likely to get a second 8800gs.

If the upcoming Intel motherboards support SLI, then who would get an Nvidia motherboard anyway ?!

I hope EVGA takes this opportunity to start selling intel based x58s. I'll be all over that.

What I don't understand is why most motherboard makers would not add the nForce 200 chip? Nvidia is out of business in the chipset department so they should take advantage of the chip and use it on the x58's so they can get all the die hard nvidia fans and such.

Site says Nvidia will exit chipset biz, Nvidia denies

If you visit DigiTimes right now, you'll see a catchy headline at the top of the page: "Nvidia to quit chipset business." Citing sources at motherboard firms, the Taiwanese site alleges that Nvidia will stop offering chipsets and re-assign its MCP team to the GPU business. Regarding the motive for the change, the site explains, "Nvidia called a meeting earlier this week with its motherboard partners to gauge support for it continuing to develop chipsets in the future. . . . The motherboard makers' response? Silence."

Puzzled, we asked Nvidia Platform Products Page Ranking chief Bryan Del Rizzo to weigh in. Del Rizzo's response came swiftly and left little open for interpretation:

1. The story on Digitimes is completely groundless. We have no intention of getting out of the chipset business.
2. In fact, our MCP business is as strong as it ever has been for both AMD and Intel platforms:
a. Mercury Research has reported that the NVIDIA market share of AMD platforms in Q2 08 was 60%. We have been steady in this range for over two years.
b. SLI is still the preferred multi-GPU platform thanks to its stellar scaling, game compatibility and driver stability.
c. nForce 790i SLI is the recommended choice by editors worldwide due to its compelling combination of memory performance, overclocking, and support for SLI. . . .
3. We're looking forward to bring new and very exciting MCP products to the market for both AMD and Intel platforms.

To add to Nvidia's statement, we remember Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang stating in April that customers will find value in Nvidia "motherboard GPUs" once Intel releases Nehalem processors with built-in graphics cores. According to Huang, lengthy processor release cycles will leave plenty of room for quicker and more feature-rich integrated graphics chipsets. .

Source
Site says Nvidia will exit chipset biz, Nvidia denies - The Tech Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom