The Next-Gen Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the article that gurusan just posted... The 9800gtx+ is suppoused to be released at $199
-230. It's suppoused to have a 10% increase over the 9800gtx. Nvidia... pfft.

This was also intresting....

With two 4850s paired up in CrossFire, we once again ran into issues with our power supply. Our 1000W OCZ EliteXStream wasn't always enough for the dual-GPU setup and in Call of Duty 4 our system rebooted in the middle of our test at 2560 x 1600. Thankfully OCZ sent us a PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200W unit that is certified for use with GeForce GTX 280 SLI, and if it works on that beast, it had better work with a pair of 4850s in CrossFire.

The PCP&C unit is quite loud as we mentioned in our review, but it got the job done, we were able to run all of our benchmarks without a hiccup after swapping power supplies. Despite AMD's small-GPU strategy, power consumption on multi-GPU configurations is still just as much of a problem as it is for NVIDIA.

No xfire for me and my crappy 800W if the that psu had problems with it.

According to the french review the 4850 has low power requirements. Watts aren't everything, They could have had low amps.

Either way its starting to look like AMD has one this round. Or is on the verge of doing so.

A single HD4850 draws 352 watts on load. And that is with:
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770
Asus Striker II
4 Gigs DDR3 1066

For reference a 9800GTX draws 402 watts with the same specs.

Source: Preview : ATI Radeon HD 4850 (page 2: Consommation, le test) - HardWare.fr

If you can run two of those then you should be able to run two 4850s.

that price is pwnage.. its official.. the 9800gtx has lost its throne to the HD 4850 :) a point for AMD for that home run

but I want to see if the HD 4600's can perform like HD 3850 or little worse is fine with me.. because that should be like sub-$100 and if it performs like that, I'll throw the cash to buy it ;) its a bit much for me to ask that of AMD, but hey thats worth it..

but I want to see if the HD 4600's can perform like HD 3850 or little worse is fine with me.. because that should be like sub-$100 and if it performs like that, I'll throw the cash to buy it ;) its a bit much for me to ask that of AMD, but hey thats worth it..

You are pretty much describing the 8800GS/9600GSO although they are a little faster than a HD3850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom