The Next-Gen Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
and if i read correctly in 1 review... the cost:fps is nearly the same for gtx280 and 4870x2..

dont get me wrong its a **** of a card... but i never thought id have to buy a kilowatt psu and 4 waterblocks as a requirement.....80c idle temps ... thats a joke..90 during games! no way thatd last through 3 or 4 hours without overheating..... and im not too sure how a single loop would handle 4 gpus...multi radiators/loops could only cool that properly

and if i read correctly in 1 review... the cost:fps is nearly the same for gtx280 and 4870x2..

dont get me wrong its a **** of a card... but i never thought id have to buy a kilowatt psu and 4 waterblocks as a requirement.....80c idle temps ... thats a joke..90 during games! no way thatd last through 3 or 4 hours without overheating..... and im not too sure how a single loop would handle 4 gpus...multi radiators/loops could only cool that properly

That FPS:Cost ratio was only on low res, without AA or AF. Once it got anything higher than the minimum of their tests, the 4870X2 was best in all the rest.

Also, idle temps can be changed just by upping the fan speed. Everyone knows how to do that, and if they don't, they need not buy such a high end card. Your GPU would not overheat at 90C as GPU's are built to handle temps of 100C+ before overheating.

yeah but the cooling 4-gpus is a good point...not to mention the power supply. We are into overclocking here and it would be quite pricey getting a 1000+ watt quality PSU in addition to a water setup that can dissipate that kind of heat.

yeah but the cooling 4-gpus is a good point...not to mention the power supply. We are into overclocking here and it would be quite pricey getting a 1000+ watt quality PSU in addition to a water setup that can dissipate that kind of heat.

Why couldn't you just go nuts with 3rd party coolers? I can see modifying two acelleros together to cool both gpus on a 4870X2. Some Tx-2 and some kick *** fans should get you in the safe zone. Lets not forget gpus don't have to be babied like cpus cooling wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom