The Next-Gen Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
Since cards from ATI and Nvidia are coming out this week there will no doubt be a flood of reviews. So, I decided to compile them all into 1 post to keep things clean and easy to read around here. I'll add them as they come out. Feel free to comment and quote and also link to reviews not already posted.

=========================================

NVIDIA GTX 280/260

ATI Radeon 4870 X2

NVIDIA 9800GTX+

I stickied this, hence forth, any thread containing a review for any of the new cards will be closed and the OP will be asked to place a link here.

Its so odd seeing the GeForce cards get bigger, when usually technology gets smaller.. I look at that thing and am reminded of the 90's... But I guess it must be some hassle keeping that card cool.

Could someone put this into perspective? How do the GT200 cards compare to what I currently have (8800GT 512)? How is the 4870 expected to rank against these?

Edit** AnandTech graphs the 8800GT and the newer cards on the same graph.

I am disappointed by the GTX 280's performance. In most cases it doesn't seem much better than the 9800gx2 which is significantly cheaper. ATI has a very good shot at winning this round since the 4870 and possibly the 4870x2 will be cheaper.

Now comes the Challange of reading every review. Fun times..

Now I know this was only one game and one review, but it seems that for the OCC review, that the GX2 is the better buy, it meets or exceeds the performence of the GTX280 in crysis in all resolution tests. Interesting, must keep reading.

I have to get around install MS Excell to begin making a Large chart with all the reviews and scores so that all the information is in one place. FUN TIMES INDEED.

First impressions: Quick reads
Crysis: GX2 > GTX280
Knights of the Sea: GTX280 > GX2 (GTX280 Only slightly better)
Bioshock: GTX280 > GX2
Call of Duty Four : GX2 > GTX280
World in Conflict: GTX280 > GX2 (GTX280 Only slightly better)
Call of Juarez: GX2 > GTX 280

Well my first impression is that a GX2, for the highest price I could find on newegg of only 550 USD is a much better buy over a GTX 280.. Course thats only on review, Ill read others.

Note: The conclusion in the Anandtech Review agrees with me that the GX2 is at the moment a better buy.

Bioshock is the only game I saw, so far, where the a Single GTX280 beats the crap out of a single GX2. So if bioshock is your fetish, go for a GTX280.

from the looks of the 3d mark 06 scores from over clcokers club the cpu is a huge botle neck as teh score remaisn similar from 1280x1024 all the way to 1900x1200. also the drivers are very pre mature for these cards, but the yseem beastly, with my q6600 over clocked to 3.8 thatl tajke away alot of botle neck and the new drivers will increase performence, now im wondering if i get a second 8800gts or a new gtx280.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom