The new, more COST effective, win-rar of PC cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
Purdue researchers want tiny refrigerators cooling your PC - Engadget

You think your liquid-cooled rig is pretty snazzy, don't you? After Purdue researchers get their technology on the streets, that stuff will seriously look like old hat. The team is working on a "miniature refrigeration system small enough to fit inside laptops and personal computers," which would hopefully boost cooling performance while enabling computers to be smaller. According to Suresh Garimella, they have "a very good handle on the technology," but it's still a ways from being implemented in end products. Don't worry though, we're sure the likes of Alienware and Voodoo PC will have it up as optional equipment just as soon as it clears the quality assurance lab.

Pfft, w/c already is already looking like old hat with the 45nm's out.

would be pretty sweet to hook up a 2nd unit... and have a beverage cooler... like peter :)
except, actually chilled

the problem with refridgeration is the energy needed for it to be effective.

With a heatsink, you just need to increase the surface area, or improve materials. The fans use up barely a couple of watts.

with watercooling, you just have a pump and a couple of fans. The pump probably consumes the most, but will be far less than a refridgeration unit.

Ive actually found that i can turn my fans completely off on the radiators. The only fans i need to keep running at all are the 3 that are in the top of the case blowing onto the motherboard to keep the NB/SB/Ram cool.

How does that effect temps? I was talking to my friend about a completely silent pc and he said he wish radiators wouldn't have the fans, no matter how silent. 4 of my fans are 33dba, and they make like.... no noise.

The temps actually dont change much at all at stock. Apparently i have more rad than i really need. Right now the only sound my machine is making is the 3 fans on top. If i really needed silence i could just put them on the fan controller rather than having them run off the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom