A new broadband type service

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemakr

In Runtime
About 2 years ago I read about a new type of internet service that would be fairly cheap to get and bring down prices of other broadband services. Supposedly the infrastructure was supposed to be through existing powerlines, and all you would have to do in your house is plug in some kind of converter to your outlet and that would be your internet connection.
Has anyone else heard about this, and has the idea been scrapped? I havn't heard anything else about it since, just curious.

fiber optics...? verizon fios is out in many places but not all right now and its pretty **** cheap for the speed but there are alot of downsides to it.

kinda doubt that would ever take off but you know what they need to come up with frickin wireless power cause all these cords are ****ing me off.

FIOS is only available and certain areas and will be more expensive to provide than Cable/DSL in all but the most major or metropolitan areas, which is why you only see it on the east and west coast and some metro areas in Texas.

BPL is a good idea, but it will not work because today's power infrastructure would be overloaded by it. Some areas can barely handle the demands of today's electronic equipment, just think if we had all of our internet traffic going through the powerlines as well.

wow, the wireless power system sounds a good topic for makin a tech presentation at tech fests

Haven't heard anything about that buy in my area they have started the roll out of free highspeed wireless and the whole county will be done with in a year. I think they have 4 cities online right now

Tesla was a bad a55, he even had a way theoretically to PUSH planes through the air with ne of his transmitters. Not sure how it was supposed to work, but didn't he do a lot of work for the gov't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom