Monitors that watch you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Rather interesting, haven't seen this on here yet, if so sorry.

Japanese monitor maker Eizo Nanao Corp. has announced the inclusion of an "EcoView Sense" feature that allows the monitors -- using motion detectors -- to detect if a person is sitting in front of it.

If it senses for 40 seconds that no one is there, it puts the monitor into sleep mode. It then resumes normal operation when the user returns. The feature, available on the just-announced FlexScan 20-inch EV2023W and the 23-inch EV2303W, won't be fooled by such shenanigans as leaving a cardboard cutout in front of it. It will resume only if there is movement up to 120 centimeters -- about 4 feet -- in front of it.

And that brings us to ninja training. If I'm ever lucky enough to get one of these, the first two tests I'm running are the "Can I be still enough that it thinks I'm not here?" test and the "Can I return to my chair slowly and smoothly enough, that it doesn't know I ever came back?" Yes, I have the mind of a 10-year-old. So what of it?

Benefits to would-be ninjas aside, other energy-saving features include an ambient light sensor that adjusts the display's brightness according to the amount of light in the room. And each monitor includes a power switch that allows it to turn off completely and not draw any power whatsoever.

These are two of the world's first monitors to receive the recently announced TCO Displays 5.0 Certification. Why should you care? Well, according to TCO, the tests used in the 5.0 spec are just plain tougher. Also, according to Eizo, these are the first Eizo products to achieve EPEAT Gold status.

The FlexScan EV2023W is equipped with a VA panel with a 1600x900 native resolution, 178-degree viewing angles and 3000:1 contrast ratio. The EV2303W comes with a TN panel with a 1920x1080 native resolution, 160-degree viewing angles, and 1000:1 contrast ratio. Both monitors claim a 250 cd/m2 brightness, and come with one VGA and one DVI-D input. HDMI was not mentioned, as these are more business-centric displays.

According to Eizo, beginning with these models, it is introducing a more compact design for its EcoView line by reducing the number of components inside the main body. This not only makes the body thinner and lighter than the previous design, but also allows both monitors to ship in smaller containers with significantly less packaging. Whether the company actually ships the monitors with less packaging remains to be seen.

Check out CNET's new Monitor Green Guide for more information on all things green … and monitors.

Now, LCD monitors watch you -   MSN Tech & Gadgets - Products

lg has a monitor like this, it also detects the level of lighting in the room and adjusts the contrast and colour apropriatly. i was going to get the 23 inch 1080p model for 250 canadian. very nice monitor. but yes it has the motion sensor to see if you are there or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom