Long Term Storage Archiving - Study

Unknown617

Beta member
Greetings!

This is my first time posting here, so if this thread is in the wrong spot, please accept my apologies.

I'm doing a study concerning Long-term Storage Archival Technology. I'm looking to compare emerging technology as well as existing technology that can handle long-term (100+ years) and large volumes (such as trying to preserve digital content of every high definition movie both audio and visual). For archival, we're looking for technology that can Write Once, Read Many/Forever (WORM/WORF).

WORF Abstract: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ist/ac/2015/00002015/00000001/art00023

Should I be investing time and energy into WORF, which is under development? Or are there other technologies I should be considering?

I'm interested in looking at the different types of storage technologies, i.e., magnetic tapes, optical disks. (Cloud technology doesn't really apply here.) Essentially establishing a pros/cons sort of comparison and eventually scoping out a total cost of ownership. (Fairly high level stuff. Not super detailed.)

Some of the storage mediums i'm currently looking at are as follows:
  • WORF
  • Hard Disk Drives: To include, Helium, SMR, and HAMR
  • Magnetic Tape: Linear Tape Open (7-10)
  • Laser Optical Tape
  • Digital Microfilm
  • DNA: (in development)
  • Memristor: (in development)
  • Quantum: (in development)
  • Nanostorage: (in development) IBM Millipede, etc.

To further clarify some of the "cost of ownership concerns, using LTO-7 as an example: If the tape lasts an avg of three years and requires replacement... there's some notional costs associated with replacing it 33 times over 100 years - Including maintaining staff and equipment to read and rewrite data as needed. Additionally, is the tape vulnerable to damage and corruption? Does it require consistent power? Variable such as those are of interest to me.

So if anyone has read this far, I'm really looking for some subject matter experts to weigh in on stuff like this. I'd love to see sources of information as well. They don't have to be academic sources, even Extremetech articles and Wikipedia are OK. Like I said this is a high level study, not a technical white paper. I've got a lot of the basic info already. I'm just trying to really scope out the details on the stuff in development as well as doing my due diligence on existing storage technology. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful Wednesday.
-AJ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom