IR backlighting to stop cam recordings in cinemas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lets see...it's about $7-8 just for the ticket around here. And that's in crap-ville west virginia...so I'm sure it's more at other places.

So add in the hundreds of movies pirated this way, plus millions that do it...i could see this easily being over $3billion

at that ticket price that's about 375,000,000 (375 million) movies that would have to be pirated this way to add up to $3billion

lets say someone pirates 20 movies a year this way. That's already $160 just for that one person.

18,750,000 people a year would have to pirate 20 movies this way....

so i really don't see how you people can't see $3billion as being reasonable.... there are like 6-7billion people in the world...just a small small fraction would have to pirate movies to make this number happen :|

Wow...okay then. First off, the damages were assessed by the American Film Institute, so I'm assuming they are American statistics only.

So here's some statistics for you.

In 2008, 610 movies were released (US).

The population of the US at the time was 304,059,724. But, if you only count people between the ages of 18 and 65, that number dwindles to 225,081,715. Now I know you're going to say something about kids under 18 that pirate things, but I think the number of people between the ages of 50 to 64 that don't pirate will easily make up for it.

Now, the average ticket price last year (and this year so far) is $7.18 in the US.

So, at that price, each movie released (to reach $3 billion) would have to lose a total of 684,963 tickets.

So basically, with all this data, 684,963 people would have to download each of those 610 movies to equal out the $3 billion. And this is HEAVILY based on the assumption, as Hef mention, that each of these people would have actually spent the money to go to the theaters in the first place, if they didn't have access to it via pirated means.

Not a lot of films are downloaded over half a million times.

They ALSO don't take into account how many people watch a crappy bootleg, like it, and pay to go see it in theaters. But that's impossible of course, because people are a bunch of pirates.

I watch maybe 5 movies a year at the theatre, then just bum the rest of friends :D. The movie industry already makes a killing off selling DVDs $20+ a piece then the blu-rays too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom