Intel's Sandy Bridge Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
The crew at Coolaler have posted some pictures and benchmarks of what appears to be a 2.5GHz Sandy Bridge engineering sample. You are going to need a translator if you want to do more than look at the pictures and benchmarks.

source: HOCP

30dfdoj.jpg

jahnao.jpg

nf46sx.jpg

and seems like intel is keeping the dual socket scheme... since Coolaler also mentioned something about Sandy Bridge and LGA 2011 with quad channel memory with 8 cores/ 16 threads (the pics above a LGA 1155 CPU)

I dont understand what Sandy Bridge is, wiki says its a successor to Nehalem, but then why does it use different sockets.... Is this like what LGA 771 was to LGA 775?

So this is basically an i7 with a GPU, and quad channel memory?
Or is it not a GPU, but AVX extensions?

Sandy Bridge is a new architecture that will replace Nehalem. It has both a on die gpu and AVX extensions.

I dont understand what Sandy Bridge is, wiki says its a successor to Nehalem, but then why does it use different sockets.... Is this like what LGA 771 was to LGA 775?

Sandy Bridge will replace nehalem just like nehalem replaced Penryn. These new sockets will replace lga1156 and lga1366 just like those sockets replaced lga775 and lga771.

wtf those sockets have barely been out and they are allready releasing a new one???

Yeah exactly. Im sufficiently ****ed if thats the case.

EDIT: Just researched. And yep. LGA1366 and 1156 are obsolete as of Q1 of next year (only 6 months away remember to Q1).

that is seriously messed up what those sockets arent even a year old yet ones of them only will be a year old once the new ones come out that is retarded, like what about the people upgradign this summer it almost seems as if its gonna be a waste for some stupid chip like sandy bridges... what if i dont want a gpu integrated into my cpu cant i just have an extra core??? this entire concept it just sad, intel has realy really failed on this one. maybe time to go am3 lol.

New sockets aren't uncommon for new architectures, heck AMD even had 3 sockets for K8 alone. As for the integrated gpu it's merely a sign of things to come as AMD will be going that route in the near future as well.

Like it or not this is the only option for high end hardware until 2011 or later, you either have to get Sandy bridge and live with the integrated gpu or go with a much slower AM3 based system.

Yeah I don't see the point of putting an on die gpu with a high end cpu. Though if it doesn't effect anything it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom