Intel to Unveil Octo-Core Xeon Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
With the Core i7 CPUs out and haunting the dreams of those who can't afford a setup based on them, Intel is gearing up to also roll out the Nehalem-based server parts with a major presentation in this regard being set to happen next month. While at the International Solid-State Circuits Conference in San Francisco (February 8 - 12), Intel is going to detail its first octo-core Xeon processor which is built using the 45nm process, is aimed at four-socket platforms and will feature 2.3 billion transistors, 16 threads, 24MB of L3 cache, QPI (QuickPath Interconnect) and a four-channel memory controller.

Although it will give more details about its octo-core server CPUs at ISSCC, Intel will most likely start off by releasing quad-core Xeons, in late Q1.

TechConnect Magazine - Intel to unveil 8-core Xeon processor next month

24MB L3 cache !!

Thats three times as much as the current Core i7 !!

EDIT: Also, it has four-channel memory controller, which means that you can have Quad channel DDR3 !!

WTF 4 8 core cpus with 2 threads per core? What, do they want us to make something that will pwn the blue gene supercomputer?!

64 threads!!!!!! 64!!!!!!!

brb need to go vomit :| that'll be a lot of heat

personally...intel is chucking out way to many CPU's. They already have the lead over AMD no use putting up this hard of a fight

I don't know, its a good idea to get as far ahead as possible while you can. If amd had done that back when k8 was destroying netburst things could have been very different.

Four octo core nehalem's on one board is absolutely insane, especially considering the incredible amount of l3 cache they have.

Well they have the capability to be a good desktop CPU too...

Like the Old Opty's or the Xeons which were basically Core 2 Quads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom