Intel to terminate AMD x86 license?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly. so if intel does indeed revoke AMD's x86 licence, AMD will take back the rights to x64 architecture from intel, thus leaving cpu tech dead in the water till intel comes up with a M$oft compatiable answer of its own. in the meantime AMD will take intel to court,which already isnt too fond of intel due to the antitrust rulings...

and i did read somewhere that intel had do some kind of licencing to do their IMC (QPI)....i may be wrong there though....

and please dont bring up those days of the Prescott P4....the last thing the world needs is a dieshrink of that to 45nm and intel flogging it again....

I thought Intel designed there own 64bit arch? Either way, what would Intel do about the millions of AMD processors out there already? What about the ones still on the shelf??? IMO, if Intel did this, AMD would just have to mimic the Intel architexture.

Anything made before a license revocation would still be allowed to sell most likely, unless the judge really hates you.

Intel did have their own 64bit architecture. It was call IA64 (kinda like IA32). The problem was, it wasn't anything like IA32 so there were some weird workarounds to get backwards compatibility on the chips as Da Viksta pointed out. AMD's 64bit architecture worked as an addon to IA32 therefore streamlining the chips and allowing flawless backwards compatibility and switching between modes. Intel realized this sometime in 2003 and got a license from AMD to make their own version called Intel64 to put on their chips. AMD64 and Intel64 are essentially the same thing.

What Da Viktsa is saying is, if Intel revokes AMDs x86 license then AMD will revoke Intel's 64bit license. AMD would die but Intel would loose millions if not more as I doubt they have a compatible home made alternative, if they did they would be using it by now.

i do not know much on this matter,

but could amd come up with something higher than x86 and have it still be backward compatable to x86 and the others?

or does intel want to get amd completly off the x86 all together?

intel may regret this sooner than later.

Anti trust suit is a coming...

Unless this has been taken as a reminder that has been blown out of proportion my the media (any thing is possible) and intel has honestly said hey AMD your licence is up for renewal fork over the cash please. But I think this is intels attempt to try and dominate the market just that little bit more if the flooding tactics don't work you are best off cutting the balls of the neerest rival,

Honestly though at the moment I am not suprised VIA or Nvidia are not taking a crack at the desktop processor market now as the time for expansion during the dieing gasps of X86 for everything but older systems is aproaching they are missing out on a massive opertunity.

Anti trust suit is a coming...

Unless this has been taken as a reminder that has been blown out of proportion my the media (any thing is possible) and intel has honestly said hey AMD your licence is up for renewal fork over the cash please. But I think this is intels attempt to try and dominate the market just that little bit more if the flooding tactics don't work you are best off cutting the balls of the neerest rival,

Honestly though at the moment I am not suprised VIA or Nvidia are not taking a crack at the desktop processor market now as the time for expansion during the dieing gasps of X86 for everything but older systems is aproaching they are missing out on a massive opertunity.

Nvidia cpu! im down with that ;)

ill take some Nvidia ram too hehe.

I kinda dislike Nvidia... I seem to have bad luck with them except for there Chipsets... All my desktops/servers use Nvidia chipsets and RAID arrays... But I am sure that could put Intel to an ALMOST monopoly, since VIA still makes standard processors, they are just slower and not very common.... Who knows, one of these days we will finaly be all 64bit and no longer need a 32bit processor what so ever.

Since this could be the brink of a monopoly, doesn't AMD have enough power to slap a bigger anti-trust on Intel?

I like nvidia hardware works flawlessly with the best BSD operating system ever (*cough* link in sig) I have a via c7 in my mini note and I have to say that for it's some what diminutive clock speed I have found it to be a rather nice little processor.

But honestly I think Nvidia and Via should jump at the chance to get a desktop processor on the market.

Via doesn't have the resources to make a powerful desktop cpu. They had a chance to take the netbook market with the Nano, but they piddled around and let Intel take it over.

I hope that Nvidia doesn't get in the desktop market, their CEO is nuts and they screw the consumer over way to much for me to trust them. Their chipsets tend to suck also so I don't know how much faith I would have in an Nvidia cpu. Knowing them it would be big, expensive, run hot and be slower than cheaper and smaller AMD chips.

I really don't see this as Intel being a bully Saxon. They have a legitimate concern here. Letting AMD just break the contract and do what they want isn't right no matter who they are doing it to. I think there is a lot of perceived evil about Intel, ooh the big bad boogie man who's goal it is to just stomp on everyone else. Even if that is true, is it right to tell him to deal with it if someone steals his car? The law is the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom