Intel's Kill Pill a Boon for Laptop Anti-Theft Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Intel's Kill Pill a Boon for Laptop Anti-Theft Security

At IDF yesterday, Intel showed off their solution for laptop anti-theft technology: the “Kill Pill.” It resides on the motherboard and combines traditional GPS and IP tracking methods with another, more drastic data protection measure.

The Intel Kill Pill can send a signal that scrambles the data on the drive, presumably through the deletion of encryption keys on the motherboard. …Intel executives explained that technology resides on the motherboard, so formatting the drive won't help the criminal.

this is a scary idea :| because if someone hacks intel or intel is having a bad day, can't they just start shutting down/scrambling computers???

Stuff like this is scary, and personally...i wouldn't want it in a computer unless i knew they had no control over it and only i did

I doubt intel will have direct control over it. I bet the way it will work is: When you buy a laptop with this technology you will also be given an activation key. This key initializes the process. So say your laptop is stolen, you go to the police and give them the key. The first thing they do is use it to lock the perp out of the hard drive and then they use that GPS to find your laptop. However this is all in a perfect world. Will your local agency have the setup to do this? And will they care enough about one stolen laptop?

I doubt intel will have direct control over it. I bet the way it will work is: When you buy a laptop with this technology you will also be given an activation key. This key initializes the process. So say your laptop is stolen, you go to the police and give them the key. The first thing they do is use it to lock the perp out of the hard drive and then they use that GPS to find your laptop. However this is all in a perfect world. Will your local agency have the setup to do this? And will they care enough about one stolen laptop?

No, they won't. Police don't give a rats *** about a single robbery or burglary victim, trust me I've experienced it.

I would want the GPS so I could personally know where it is located and take matters into my own hands. I've been watching to much Batman lately.....:)

I would want the GPS so I could personally know where it is located and take matters into my own hands. I've been watching to much Batman lately.....

Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom