Intel Reveals More Details On Six-Core Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would definitely help a lot. I would fold on my CPU but since I can't keep my PC on 24/7, and when I do use my PC I normally play games or something, it wouldn't get a lot of time at all to actually fold.

I don't see why I would want to fold. I could fold I guess on my pc and ps3, but I don't, especially not on my ps3. That thing heats up the room when its on, so I definitely don't want to have it going when I don't need to. I know it's for a good cause, but why do you guys feel you have to go out and spend $300 or whatever the first affordable processor is just to increase your folding rank? Is there something I'm missing? Do you get something out of folding?

Druid said:
Do you get something out of folding?
It's the cause that it is for, plus it gives us a way to better tweak our rigs and put them to use actually DOING something. Plus it is a bit of informal competition.

Like, I just dropped to #11. I'm not bummed out, though, as I am running a four to five year old dual core with SMP but using a killer graphics card as far as Folding goes. I chose this card for two reasons... I got it for a steal and it would boost my Folding a whole lot. A GTX can handle any game out there, but it was Folding that made the decision.

I dunno. Maybe there's only a few of us who see a point to it, but we all enjoy it.

It's an addiction for me lol. And the cause of course, that's whats really backing me to put $ into folding rigs.

I figure if I can actually use my computers to actually do something good for mankind, all the better.

really, it's the numbers, the bragging rights. that it's all for a good cause is secondary... how many of our folders are also in other bench mark rankings? I'm not saying it's not a bad thing, just that it would prolly still be the same if it was just for marks... just my personal thought on it

I Have my gaming system on 24/7 anyway so i started folding with it, because why just have it sitting there doing nothing. Then when i built a new rig, i had an old one just sitting there, so i thought, hey, why not put it to folding. I find it fun to see your points build up, it makes you feel like your computers are actually accomplishing something. I mean, every folder is a bit enticed to the competition aspect, and if they tell you that they are not then they are lying. So to mean i get satisfaction out of folding, i put unused hardware cycles to use, and i also get the fun added side bonus of the competition for more points.

really, it's the numbers, the bragging rights. that it's all for a good cause is secondary... how many of our folders are also in other bench mark rankings? I'm not saying it's not a bad thing, just that it would prolly still be the same if it was just for marks... just my personal thought on it

Yes, the competition is part of it. Did I spend nearly $400 in parts to say that I get a lot of "points" that in the end do nothing.... No. I spent that money because I felt it was the best way I could contribute to a program I thought could go places and help people, not because of some arbitrary "points," or to say, "hey look, my second PC is faster than yours, HA!"

Saying the cause is secondary is complete BS, at least for 90% of the folders/crunchers I know or have spoken with.

I'm not currently folding, but that is due to my lack of ability to do so, but when I first heard of the concept of folding at home, I thought it was an awesome idea and I wanted to help (at this time i did not know that people got "scores" for folding). Then some time later I joined this forum and noticed that there were a lot of computer enthusiasts who were into folding which is awesome. One reason I am looking foreward to building my new rig is so that I could start folding because I think it is an awesome idea and is for a good cause.

But lets just say that the only reason I did want to fold was for the bragging rights... who cares!? Its not like any contributions made would be any less useful because of different motives. I could understand somebody who doesn't leave their computer on and/or has limited resources not wanting to fold, but if you have the resources and the computer is just sitting there idle then why not fold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom