Intel overclocks Sandy Bridge to 4.9GHz on stock cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
Sandy Bridge is poised to severely limit traditional FSB overclocking. However, Intel is releasing "K" series unlocked multiplier variants of upcoming Sandy Bridge CPUs targeted specifically at overclockers. At a demonstration at IDF 2010, Intel demonstrated that overclocking is alive and well, with a Sandy Bridge K sample overclocked to a whopping 4.9 GHz. Perhaps more impressive is that this result was achieve on air, with a stock cooler resembling the Core i7 980X heatsink.

While the exact model of the CPU was not announced, it is most likely to be the Core i7 2600K, clocked at 3.4 GHz. This translates to an impressive 45% overclock. Using quality aftermarket coolers, we could see overclockers hitting clocks well in excess of 5 GHz on air. Intel tested for stability on Cinebench 11.5, though no scores were announced.

It is clear that Intel is not ignoring overclockers. However, any substantial overclocking will only be limited to K series products. Of course, these will cost more than the standard locked multiplier versions, but considering the benefits, a slight premium may be more than worth it. The two K series products planned are the Core i5 2500K and the Core i7 2600K. Rough price estimates are between $200-$250 for the 2500K and $300-$400 for the 2600K. Outside of these two CPUs, however, any significant overclocking is effectively dead. The days of buying cheap CPUs (like Pentium Dual-Cores) and overclocking them to the limit seem to be a thing of the past as far as Intel is concerned, though.

Source: Intel Sandy Bridge "K" overclocked to 4.9 GHz on air by VR-Zone.com

I can't wait until these are released.

finally, 5ghz 24/7 OCs (on air) :thumbsup:

we'll have to see how much the non-k series don't OC, it might persuade some people to switch to team amd, depending on whatever they bring.

The K series chips are supposed to be very reasonably priced so anyone who is very serious about overclocking will probably buy one in the first place.

Personally I'm not even sure if I need a K series chip, turbo mode on these chips looks like it may be good enough for everything but benchmarking wars.

haha, you just reminded me of this movie:
kijinnmaru-inconceivable.jpg

brb going to change my pants. lol i remember back when it was amazing that we where hitting 4ghz on air with the e8400 and 8500. the fact that i pushed my oh so lovely q6600 to 3.8ghz on air with a lapped tuniq and heatsink to me was almost inconcivable. now they are hitting 5ghz on air with stock cooling what will we do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom