Intel & Micron Announce 25nm Production, SSDs to get Bigger/Cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
January 30th, 2010 AnandTech: Intel & Micron Announce 25nm NAND Flash Production, SSDs to get Bigger/Cheaper in Q4

Today IMFT is announcing that it has begun sampling 2-bits-per-cell MLC NAND flash manufactured using 25nm transistors. The company believed it had a 6 month head start over the competition in 34nm, and now believes that with 25nm NAND it's roughly a year ahead of anyone else.

Volume production will happen sometime in Q2, with products shipping before the end of the year. In my last SSD article I mentioned that Intel's 3rd generation X25-M would be shipping in Q4 at 160GB, 320GB and 600GB. These drives will use IMFT's new 25nm flash.

The first 25nm product is an 8GB (64Gbit) 2-bits-per-cell MLC NAND flash. A single 8GB die built on IMFT's 25nm process has a die size of 167mm2. Immersion lithography is apparently necessary to produce these 25nm NAND devices, but the extent is unclear. This is technically Intel's first device that requires immersion lithography to manufacture.

I like the sound of cheaper. It's about time!

Ah, good. By the time I can afford one now, I can probably afford two once these come out :p

Though I still don't see why they don't just release 3.5" versions, to give you a larger capacity without using a smaller process.

Ok good, I thought these were going to be coming out in like the next month, then I was going to be like Grrr, cause I just got mine.

I was agreeing with you. Probably could have worded it differently though. I think they are just trying to keep it 2.5" to make it easier for netbooks and laptops to buy their products.

I'll get one when i can get a 256GB for under $150. It's going to be awhile lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom