Intel LGA775

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX5

Solid State Member
Ive heard a lot of good things about the LGA775 processors, higher performance, bigger clock-speeds. gr8! but i've heard bad things as well.

The main thing is installation... Apparently its easy to bend the pins in the motherboard and very hard to unbend, and seeing as im planning on gettin an LGA775 processor & motherboard, i dont want to break a hundred quid's worth of electronics!

Can any1 give me some tips on how to install this beast?

the chip will slip into the socket without ANY problems, it just falls into place, so if u that u are having to force, then dont force, just take it out, and turn it.

accordin to reviews i've seen, apparently, its like pushing water uphill!

This is worth taking a look at...

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3370921

"Land Grid Array devices are commonly used when high pin counts are required and the design needs a small form factor. These are very real concerns in the area of processors, and LGA775 delivers, but there is a potential downside to going the LGA route. These LGA processors require a holding mechanism to keep them in place, to assure proper contact, but this does bring up durability concerns. The motherboard socket now needs to be treated with the care of a processor pin-out, and it also requires diligence to install and remove these LGA775 processors. We did not run into any problems at all, but the myriad Intel warnings on the installation instructions certainly kept us on our toes."

NX5 said:
higher performance, bigger clock-speeds. gr8!

I haven't installed enough CPUs to give you advice here, but I'd just like to comment on the above.

Bigger clock-speeds aren't that much of a plus anymore. A better designed processor is MUCH more important then an increased GHz rating...the way I see it, clock speeds are now just a marketing tool that Intel has been using to fairly big success. From my experience, AMD processors generally perform better, but then again, I haven't had any experience with this particular processor so I'll refrain from judging.

Re: Re: Intel LGA775

qiranworms said:
I haven't installed enough CPUs to give you advice here, but I'd just like to comment on the above.

Bigger clock-speeds aren't that much of a plus anymore. A better designed processor is MUCH more important then an increased GHz rating...the way I see it, clock speeds are now just a marketing tool that Intel has been using to fairly big success. From my experience, AMD processors generally perform better, but then again, I haven't had any experience with this particular processor so I'll refrain from judging.

the ghz dont mean much, its how mny cycles per minute it can do. thats y some proc are less in ghz, but performe as well as the intels. You can see this in the old xp series. or even macs

Can you post a link to where you read these reviews?
nope. soz. cnt rememba. nd nyways, i had to format da stupid HD!
lol

Bigger clock-speeds aren't that much of a plus anymore. A better designed processor is MUCH more important then an increased GHz rating...the way I see it, clock speeds are now just a marketing tool that Intel has been using to fairly big success. From my experience, AMD processors generally perform better...

In that case, how the hell can i determin if its better designed than others? Coz i rly rly dnt want to spend hours trawling reviews about it. nd btw, the AMD 1s cost loads!nd i dnt think they support DDR2, which the intel do. DDR2 can be bought for less than damn good DDR!

NX5 said:
In that case, how the hell can i determin if its better designed than others? Coz i rly rly dnt want to spend hours trawling reviews about it. nd btw, the AMD 1s cost loads!nd i dnt think they support DDR2, which the intel do. DDR2 can be bought for less than damn good DDR!

Well, unfortunetly, trawling reviews about product is the best way to determine if it has any issues you should know about. A semi-major purchase like a CPU is something you should walk into informed.

And which AMD costs loads? I've often found AMDs for cheaper then Intel CPUs...but I haven't been following either lately much, so I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom