Intel face greatest fine in EU history

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
Business analysts predict that Intel Corp could be in line for the single largest court-ordered fine in European history, in a case regarding anti-competitive practices put together by the European Union. The EU is currently investigating the chip manufacturer for many misdemeanors, including offering discounts to manufacturers that use Intel products, as well as encouraging them not to use rival company AMD's hardware.

The legal analysis estimates that the fine could in fact far exceed €1,000,000,000 - double the €500,000,000 fine heading Microsoft's way. This follows a guilty verdict that has already slapped Intel in Japan and Korea and is a joint effort between EU and US Federal Trade Commission investigators.

Regardless of previous convictions, Intel still insists that it has done nothing wrong and is confident of being proved innocent. "Overall, Intel's conduct is lawful, pro-competitive and beneficial to consumers," said Intel spokesman Robert Manetta.

Of course, Intel's major competitor begs to differ. Sources within the company cite that Intel have conducted anti-competitive practices to maintain a dominant 80/20 split in market share that has not changed in years, despite modifications in technology. The source (speaking with the New York Times) points out that when Intel misjudged the market with Itanium, and AMD shot through Xeon, relative market shares barely budged. AMD contends that Intel uses subsidies to make sure manufacturers use its chips and ignore the competition.

Interestingly, Hewlett-Packard director Tom Perkins came out with some interesting comments during the HP spying scandal, saying that "Intel might be kicking the cr** out of us," - which no doubt AMD takes to relate to HP's decision to use more AMD processors.

TechConnect Magazine - Intel face greatest fine in EU history

just because AMD can't make a chip worth using doesn't mean intel needs to be fined..and wtf a trillion euros ? do they expect american companies to fund their whole country or something?

The issue isn't actually who's chips are better, it's about Intel's tactics (though I don't quite see what's wrong with "offering discounts to manufacturers that use Intel products"). And besides, despite being a ravid Intel fan myself, I have to admit chips like the X3 720 are great contenders against some Intel chips, and are totally worth buying.

okay..so some are worth using. Their business practice isn't anything strange. I'm sure almost all companies do it. If you want someone to use your stuff...lower the price. If AMD can't afford to lower theirs to beat intel..then get out of the game if you can't compete

AMD can make a good chip and I think this started back when the Athlon and Opteron were the better chips. Even now AMD makes good chips as long as you want to stick to a budget and can't afford the highest end things.

And thats 1 billion not 1 trillion Euros.

just because AMD can't make a chip worth using doesn't mean intel needs to be fined..and wtf a trillion euros ? do they expect american companies to fund their whole country or something?

That's really not a fair statement. Just because AMD doesn't make a "hey look my e-peen is huge" processor like the i7 965 doesn't mean they don't make chips worth using. While they haven't caught up to intel in performance, they are closer than they have been since the C2D days.

With the Phenom IIs and AM3, there are plenty of chips worth using, especially in comparison to the old Phenoms.

Now, having said that, I'm not really sure of the charges being lodged against Intel. I'd have to look a bit deeper into the allegations before I could have more of an opinion.

This goes back before C2D and the current I7 chips.... Back when AMD was KILLING Intel is what most people are ****ed about, AMD could barely get into the market, only place I saw that offered AMD at that time in a prebuild was HP/Compaq... Hardly ever saw an Intel build from them.... They went with what was cheap, and powerfull for the AVERAGE consumer.

This goes back before C2D and the current I7 chips.... Back when AMD was KILLING Intel is what most people are ****ed about, AMD could barely get into the market, only place I saw that offered AMD at that time in a prebuild was HP/Compaq... Hardly ever saw an Intel build from them.... They went with what was cheap, and powerfull for the AVERAGE consumer.

This is about that whole P4 and Dell fiasco right?

I thought this was already decided.. and Intel was royally fined?

There are other manufactures and such. Not entirely dell even though I don't see very many if any dells with an option for an AMD processor... But currently I wouldn't doubt that Intel is still doing this over seas as I think the last one was for here in America....

If AMD can't afford to lower theirs to beat intel..then get out of the game if you can't compete

Do you realize how bad that would be for us consumers? The point is, Intel is trying to monopolize the industry. They'll do anything in they're power to get the advantage. Just because AMD isn't dominating in the desktop arena doesn't mean that it doesn't do so in the server environment.

edit: BTW everytime I read something about a lawsuit it always has something to do w/ Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom