i7-930's in stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait now I'm confused... do I get a 930 or a 920? going for benchies and high oc's

From what I saw in those 2 reviews I would say stick with the 920. In the Bit-Tech review the voltage settings they gave were way more than needed for every setting. And the Hexus review mentioned an acceptable 85C load temp. While I'm sure both reviewers gave it their "Best", I'd rather read a review from a more experienced reviewer. If 85C was acceptable I could run at close to 4.4GHz.

The i7 920 can already do everything the i7 975 can, except raise the multiplier. So the i7 930 has a 21 multiplier, that's what your paying for. Is it worth it, probably not. I suspect most users will have to reduce the multiplier to 20 or disable Turbo mode for a stable overclock.

The i7 920 has been stealing all the Thunder from Intels Higher Priced cpu's, so what can they do to reduce this. They increase the 920's multiplier by 1 making it trickier to adjust for the novice user and they charge more money for it.

more 930's
New i7 930! - XtremeSystems Forums

They increase the 920's multiplier by 1 making it trickier to adjust for the novice user and they charge more money for it.
how does the higher multi make it trickier?

but yah, the new 930's aren't looking good for mid range oc'ers... i'd go with a 920, or try to find someone selling a nice batch on a forum if you want more oc headroom

How about that...my 920, almost a year old now, still beats the **** out of a cpu released recently that was meant to replace it. woot :grin:

How about that...my 920, almost a year old now, still beats the **** out of a cpu released recently that was meant to replace it. woot :grin:

I wouldn't say that yet... I mean there aren't even that many batches of the 930's out there yet. It's only been available for a couple days. I'm hoping that some nice batches will show up in the couple weeks/month

And as slay said I don't think this chip was meant to be an improvement type upgrade, they wanted to stop the 920 from stealing their higher cpu's sales.

Sure would be nice to see some well clocking 930's though, that 22x multi could be nice

^yeah that'd be my main reason to get a 930. That extra multiplier would keep my QPI down a little lower (which is what's bottlenecking my OC atm)

A lower QPI? That's never a good thing when overclocking. 2 systems running at the same speed, the one with the higher QPI will perform better.

Unless your oc is bclk limited, then the extra multi could help.

The whole point of buying a higher multi chip is to get more mhz out of the cpu when your mobo can't handle the high qpi/bclk

^exactly! I'll end up with the same QPI speed, but on the 930 I'll have been able to get a higher OC than on the 920 (thanks to the extra head room allowed by the higher cpu-qpi ratio)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom