Hello AMD Socket G34

Status
Not open for further replies.
this socket does seem useless considering a lot of things (besides rendering/photoshop/etc) don't use quad-cores even..what's the use of 8-12 core CPU's? Intel is also in the lead for the size, 32nm vs 45nm. Plus nehalem is going to wipe everything off the floor when it comes out lol

I cleaned up the thread, so let's keep it that way.

Server CPU or not, G34 will pack some serious computing power. From where I see it, it would be best for multi-tasking and encoding, as games will take quite a while to utilize additional cores. There are very few games that claim to make use of four cores, and many still don't utilize dual cores.

I'm just happy to see innovations from both sides of the field. Intel is coming out with some good stuff. Although they are copying a lot of AMD's stuff, they are doing it while pushing the envelope. And that is what it takes to make a good CPU.

I cleaned up the thread, so let's keep it that way.

Server CPU or not, G34 will pack some serious computing power. From where I see it, it would be best for multi-tasking and encoding, as games will take quite a while to utilize additional cores. There are very few games that claim to make use of four cores, and many still don't utilize dual cores.

I'm just happy to see innovations from both sides of the field. Intel is coming out with some good stuff. Although they are copying a lot of AMD's stuff, they are doing it while pushing the envelope. And that is what it takes to make a good CPU.

I hope they do pull this off... I'm fedup of Intel's winning, I think if Intel wins again, its monopoly time...

The argument is yes. Intel uses it's hold on the market to force intel onto people.

But you have a good point. AMD can't hide behind excuses forever... they need to come out with some good stuff once again.

Eh, this is kind of comparable to the people who say microsoft is a monopoly because they sell more than any other OS. When the only reason they do is because it's more well known (well, maybe not today..but use to) so people buy it more. Intel is more well known compared to AMD so people buy it more (most "high end" prebuilt comps. come with intels...).

I dunno, I'd personally like for AMD to chuck out some awesome chip...bring down intel prices :cool:

I still think the whole 6-8-12 core chips are stupid (from both of them). People still argue the point of why get a quad-core when a duel does just as well...so why would anyone want to buy into 6+ core CPU's.

Microsoft is completly diffrent. They do have a monopoly. I would love to use linux all the time, it's so great, but for gaming... not so much.
Oh and Mac? Don't even mention them to me please.kthxbibi.

It's not that AMD isn't known. Most people who have the knowledge to build a computer on newegg probably know what AMD is. But there is no denying the fact that atm AMD is behind, you can get cheap intel cpu's that out perform AMD, and the Intel's in most cases OC better. I'm not going to buy AMD out of fanboyism, but I will support them (with words) so I can get lower prices on whatever processor is better. Competition is a wonderful thing.

Even if a game does not use all of the cores, background tasks can easily take those cores and use them to there advantage, so a game that runs on half the cores, would let the other half handle all of the other windows processes, or I am not sure, but windows could disable the core all together unless it is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom