hdtv

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
I'm trying to help someone understand the difference between hdtv and sdtv. I'm guessing the best way to tell the difference is to goto the store and experience it live, side by side if possible. anyways, I found a page describing the difference between sdtv, edtv, & hdtv as well as progressive scan and interlacing.

What is the Difference Between EDTV and HDTV?

HDTV looks better then SDTV cause it has more pixels?

Though IMO any big t.v. is a waste of money, go for a projector, then you get a really big "t.v." with comparable quality for far less.

HDTV looks better then SDTV cause it has more pixels?

technically, yes. the linked article describes sdtv as having 480 scan lines and hdtv can support 780 or 1080 scan lines. This allows the device to show a more detailed and less pixelated image.

another question was asked was how can we tell if a monitor can support hdtv content such as blueray?

HDTV content? Sounds like someones spending time talking to futureshop sales people lol, no offence. Really the only difference between SDTV and HDTV is the resolution. HDTV is 1920x1080, SDTV is something x 480, nothing else.

So with HDTV you have far more pixels, which means the pixels are smaller, and your image is better looking. Although the pixels don't scale with t.v. size. So a 38" HDTV has the exact same amount of pixels as a 62". From there you have to take into account viewing distance, how far away you're sitting. I don't remember exact numbers, but there's a distance where you can't tell the difference between a 720p t.v. and a 1080p. So if you take that into account, you might not actually need the full 1080p t.v..

The only difference between a DVD and a blu-ray is the amount of data it can hold, nothing more. So with dvd you're limited to 480 lines as you said, because of space restrictions, dvds hold about 700mb. Blu-rays can hold far greater, 20gb+, so you can store more data on it. With the extra room they can fit content that's native to 1920x1080, 1080 scan lines. That content can be displayed clearly at any resolution under that, on any monitor, and any t.v.

It's the upscaling thats a problem, which is why a dvd on a 1080p t.v. will look noticeable worse then a blue ray (depending on viewing distance). There is also no such thing a "HD monitor", pretty much all of the modern ones come at 1920x1080 now, or a smaller size with the same 16:9 aspec ratio.

.....The only difference between a DVD and a blu-ray is the amount of data it can hold, nothing more. So with dvd you're limited to 480 lines as you said, because of space restrictions, dvds hold about 700mb. Blu-rays can hold far greater, 20gb+, so you can store more data on it......

Single layer DVD's hold 4.7GB.

For a monitor to support Bluray titles/players the monitor must have HDCP (it will say if it does in the features/specs). Without this it doesnt matter if the screen is 1080P the bluray player wont give it anything more than SD resoloution.

Single layer DVD's hold 4.7GB.

For a monitor to support Bluray titles/players the monitor must have HDCP (it will say if it does in the features/specs). Without this it doesnt matter if the screen is 1080P the bluray player wont give it anything more than SD resoloution.

Oh yeah sorry, CD's are 700mb.

so the person contacted comcast and found out that the hd box came free with the triple play promotion. However, now that i see tv in HD, i dont think i'd pay extra for the hd content. I can barely notice a difference.

Sorry but this is wrong on so many levels. If you think this, then you have NO CLUE about what the new LED HDTV's can do. At all. I have seen the new Sharp Aquos up close and it looks live action. No SDTV in the world could even get close to touching that. When watching some of these new LED and LCD HDTV's it looks like the movie is being acted out in front of you when watching BluRay. Even old movies like Stargate from 1999.

No SDTV and no DVD in the world could even touch this. They are not capable of doing such quality that it looks like the actors are filming the movie right there for you. Go to Sears and check out the Demo units on display of the new Sharp Aquos for yourself. If you still think that a SDTV and a DVD player can do that kind of quality, then maybe you cant see the difference. Cause there is a MAJOR difference between SDTV and a real HDTV, just as there is a major difference between DVD and Bluray.

Yeah, everything there was right. I mean sure, a really good-quality HDTV might make a DVD look very good, but a BD-R is bound to better since there's 4x as much info on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom