"Gulftown" is the Flagship of 32nm "Westmere" Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many sources are saying that "Gulftown" will be out on first half of 2010

Anyway, the first 32nm processor will be out on Q4 2009 but it will use LGA-1156 socket

Intel has canceled the 45nm "Havendale" and "Auburndale", instead they will replace them by the 32nm version which use LGA-1156 socket as well

DailyTech - Intel Replaces "Havendale" and "Auburndale" With 32nm Die Shrinks

EDIT: I think this photo explains everything

10329_large_2222.jpg

I still think using a different socket is a terrible idea. They should use the same socket, give people a chance to choose between spending a crap ton of money on a good 1366 board for their i5 or buy a budget board that wouldn't handle the i7.

It's good to have faith in a company like AMD, but let's face it -- they won't be able to compete in the CPU realm for quite some time (at least above budget builds). Their current line of cpus that just released are finally starting to succeed over parts intel put out well over a year ago. They also show no sign of competing with the current nehalem line, let alone the up and coming westmere revision.

I'm pulling for AMD to finally start catching up, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The PII series is showing a lot of promise in value, and that's the strong point for the company right now. You can't beat AMD in budget builds right now, especially with the 780G/790GX chipsets, which have great onboard video for budget gaming.

It's good to have faith in a company like AMD, but let's face it -- they won't be able to compete in the CPU realm for quite some time (at least above budget builds). Their current line of cpus that just released are finally starting to succeed over parts intel put out well over a year ago. They also show no sign of competing with the current nehalem line, let alone the up and coming westmere revision.

Theyre competing very strongly with the 45nm core 2 quads.....which people said wouldint happen.

Wow, they are finally competing with a last generation product. Bravo AMD.

Before the core series, AMD was dominating Intel.

You cant say AMD will never be on top again...as technology improves the performance crown swings back and forth.

And id hardly call them last gen, a lot of people still havent moved to nehalem.

Like i said, people did not believe deneb would perform as well as it does....and for the record deneb chips can oc higher than nehalem chips on extreme cooling.

mater of fact the world record for a quad is held by a deneb chip:
CPU-Z Validator 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom