Google set to launch GDrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuxoR

What choice did I have?..
There has been rumor ever since a screen shot emerged that Google would be working on some sort of storage application.

google-web-drive.png

Well it's been annouced now that they are releasing the "Gdrive" in 2009
It will basically let you access email, photos, music, documents, ect; from any device that has an internet connection.

I think this is pretty big considering Google has always had easy to use software, and this will be true "cloud computing"
I can't wait even though I do have my worries about how secure it will be
guess we'll have to see

Whata you guys think?

Story

Looks interesting.
They should make it so it creates a virtual drive in My Computer, that would be good.

I agree that a "virtual space" from a PC would be nice, instead of having to add content to the web every time, but I have always been very impressed with Google and their development over the past 6-7 years. Their Gmail was a great start and on to the homepage development. Continuing with "GDrive".... I wouldn't even mind if the web app was integrated into Google Chrome for a easier interface to work with and cleaner look. The space Google has provided for email and photos has been sufficient, but for a "Google Cloud" I would be hoping for extra space.

'Cloud Computing' can go somewhere that this board will put a bunch of '*' if I write it out.

Cloud Computing is a crackers wet dream now. Thousands upon thousands of documents/pictures...in one place...in one rightious hack...personal information stolen.

Go buy a 1TB HD for $100.
The average person will have more than enough room required.

'Cloud Computing' can go somewhere that this board will put a bunch of '*' if I write it out.

Cloud Computing is a crackers wet dream now. Thousands upon thousands of documents/pictures...in one place...in one rightious hack...personal information stolen.

Go buy a 1TB HD for $100.
The average person will have more than enough room required.

I don't think the storage is the problem, it's having some files that you can access from any device from anyway that makes this useful.

Gmail Drive has been available as a 3rd party shell extension for years now. Granted, Google corp didn't develop it but it's still along the same lines. Had a drive letter pop up in "My Computer" too. I've been waiting for them to develop something like this that worked a little better than Gmail Drive did. Glad to finally see this materialize.

It is interesting, i personally would not use it, as i have a blackberry and laptop for a reason. But it would be very useful for office jobs, working at home, putting on this gDrive and then easily being able to get at it at the office with ease, very useful indeed.

It is not meant for more space, it is meant for convenience. A ghost image on your computer that you could drop things in, and they would automtically upload would be very ideal for Google to do, no more going to the site , and all that just to upload a 20Kb text file.

^Yeah, i was thinking that when i looked at the thread title, at first i thought it was just an improvement to the already standing Gmail drive.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this from google in the near future, there are many services like this already from other companies.. no doubt google would be the biggest and probably most userfriendly though.

I don't think the storage is the problem, it's having some files that you can access from any device from anyway that makes this useful.

If you're that 'tech savvy' that you need to access your data from anywhere on any device, you will have something a little better than someone like Google hosting your files.
IMO of course.

The cloud is still to pre-mature to be doing stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom