GE Hologram Data storage Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastKnownUser

Baseband Member
(Searched "GE Hologram" In search bar, came up with one hit that was a broken link. So... Here's the scoop.)

Cool New tech from GE. A 500GB Data Disk that is written in a 3D hologram format on a disk VS what is commonly done with Blue-ray/DVD/Cd's who use 2D tech.

Could this Technology Possibly Replace Blue-ray's aim to be A mass storage backup format?

As far as games I like to think with this type of disk we will see in 10 years games taking advantage of its storage potential.

Here's the article I've read from: GE Crams 500GB of Data on DVD with Holographic Tech - PC World

And Anyone know the Read/write speeds that are supposedly capable with this?

This is rather old really... They have been working on this hologram storage tech for what, 10 years now? But in the past they was using cards similar to credit cards and small memory cards that you could put in a small case...

All technology is really worked on for a long time before it comes out. I could have posted something about a new type of computer and then someone could also say "This is rather old really, They've been working on computer for what, 100 years now. " Lol.

But yea, Holgram tech has been around for awhile, But this is formed like a CD/DVD and in the article it says the drives that will support them will be backwards compatible with CD/DVD's.

I just think its worth mentioning now, because It could be only a year or two before we actually get to have one in our home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom