Galaxy Working On Dual-GPU Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
Dual-GPU GTS250 being worked on by Galaxy - Neoseeker News Article
Galaxy Launches 2-Year-old Graphics Card. Why? - Tom's Hardware

Although no release date or price-tag has been pinned down, it appears that Galaxy is working on a new exclusive video card that will have two G92 GPUs in it, running in SLI.

With Fermi still a few months away, their has not been anything terribly exciting to talk about, product-wise, coming from Nvidia. In other words, it is a very good time to release something really different, if you are a bored board partner like Galaxy.

The unnamed new card, which looks like much more than just a rumor, judging from these pictures from the Expreview blog, uses two low-power versions of the G92 chip. If you are not familiar with GPUs, the G92+ GPU powering Nvidia's mid-range GTS 250 video card have been a real work-horse for Nvidia for the last three years, powering, in one version or another, many different models of video cards including the 8800 GTS 512MB and the 9800 GTX / 9800 GTX+.

v_image.php

Each GPU will have 1GB of GDDR3, fed by a 256-bit memory interface.

The performance of GTS 250 x 2 setup isn't that bad, and Nvidia's SLI is fairly reliable when it comes to support for big titles. The success of the card will no doubt lie solely on the price-tag, and how many upcoming DirectX 11 games will actually look any different than DX9/DX10 games (we suspect not very many ourselves). - neoseeker.com

So in other words it's a single pcb 9800gx2 that will be released nearly a year after the original became irrelevant.

Yes as the dual boards use less power... Same as the 295 is better than 2 275s for power.

But you run higher temps due to the 2 cpus being next to each other.

I think its a great idea for single pci-e mobos.

well if the price is good i don't see an issue with it :\ even though it is really late lol

If it costs less than $200 it would be a competitive product although I would still rather have a GTX 275 or HD 4890.

I think its a great idea for single pci-e mobos.

Back when the 9800gx2 offered top of the line performance I would have agreed but now there are 10 other single pcie cards that offer better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom