Are DDR3 timings the lowest we'll see them go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this, it seems the most fitting.

DDR3 has progressed a lot since we first saw them roll out for the 790i over a year ago, especially considering how high they're running at 1.65v. Currently you can find DDR3-1600 running at 6-6-6-18 with the OCZ Blades, DDR3-1800 running at CAS7 with OCZ Platinums, and DDR3-2000 running at CAS8 with Doms. And now we have DDR3-2200 being worked on by one or two companies. Speed is probably a whole nother thread considering the Core i7 architecture and requirments to run those speeds, so what about latencies? Do we have any idea or indication of one day seeing CAS5 DDR3-1600 or higher, or would that require more voltage than we're allowed with a Core i7?

DDR3-2000 @ 7-7-7-20 would be freaking awesome. DDR3-1600 @ that is only supported on certain models as it is.

Just imagine what the price of DDR3-2000 7-7-7-20 would be. Jeebus.

^ alot :eek:

but i do not think we will see the timings much lower than Cl6, possible CL5 on some slower DDR3 speeds like 1333MHz.

thing is if you look at timing jumps from ddr to ddr2, they just about double, or go a bit more, and same is holding true for ddr2 to ddr3...

Bring back RAMBUS anyone???

ocz blades have simular timings, price is out of this world though!
ddr3 2000 7-8-7-20
only $431
Newegg.com - OCZ Blade Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

those things better cook you breakfast in the morning for that price.

Pfffffffft, they also better wash my clothes and fold em for me.

IMO, time to develope a new memory type besides DDR.

Oh dude, SDRAM is just one type of memory. SRAM would be flippin sweet, but it's supposedly spendy as heck, that's why we see it used in CPUs. MRAM would be sweet to see to take the place of SDRAM Spin flip trick points to fastest RAM yet - tech - 13 August 2008 - New Scientist . But their is already talk about successors of DDR.

thing is if you look at timing jumps from ddr to ddr2, they just about double, or go a bit more, and same is holding true for ddr2 to ddr3...

Bring back RAMBUS anyone???

Haha, noooooot going to happen. And for doubling the data rate rate, hence the name Double Data Rate. DDR4 is slated for release in 2012 and should run around 1.2v. Just think about how much faster that will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom