Core i7 hits 4ghz (56k warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
that i920 is an engineering sample, and the multi is unlocked on that sample...retail i920 will only have a multi of 20x, 22x in turbo mode.

no way that thing is running 200*20

Why not? 200mhz is a very reasonable fsb OC. I can't see why it can't. We don't know much about QPI, but we do know Intel has a knack for high clock speeds, so what is to say that you cant crank up the QPI to 200mhz?

its not an FSB anymore, its a reference clock, which will make it a lot harder to OC. Even intel themselves say they are unsure what adjusting the reference clock will do to the processor. Besides, the highest reference clock seen on these was 165, and that was on an extreme edition.

So? That does not automatically mean that it cannot be done. I really don't think you can make such an assertion without seeing a production cpu in action. The data just isn't there.

don't get me wrong, i want one of these and i want it to be at least 3.6ghz when OC'd, but at 1.45v, and only at 165mhz, it doesn't look too promising, otherwise the multi and reference clock wouldn't be blurred out like that.

hmm 4ghz eyy that's not bad at all.also what dose FSB and QPI do and what do they stand for.iv only just goting back into pc gaming

FSB is the Front Side Bus of a CPU:
FSB x Multiplier = Clock Speed.

With Intels new CPU's they are getting rid of the FSB and swapping to QPI, or Quick Path Interconnect.

The QPI serves the same purpose but works differently. It is a serial connection and not a parallel one. So if you want to increase the bandwidth of the QPI, instead of turning up the fsb, or quad pumping it, you simply add more lanes like in PCIexpress. QPI is very similar to Hyper Transport from AMD. The biggest difference is that Hyper Transport operates and 2ghz and QPI at 133mhz.

its not an FSB anymore, its a reference clock, which will make it a lot harder to OC. Even intel themselves say they are unsure what adjusting the reference clock will do to the processor. Besides, the highest reference clock seen on these was 165, and that was on an extreme edition.

even so if it goes to 200 thats only a 25% qpi oc, im runnign a 80% fsb oc right now at 1800 from 1026 so you cant say from 165 to 200 wont be possible. wait till we get it, but what we do need to know right now is the cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom