Core i5 Will Have A Lower QPI Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the i5 offer that the i7 does not? I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, I'm just trying to figure out what the i5 offers that the i7 doesn't and why on earth Intel would want to use two chipets for desktops, even though 1366 will also be used for servers.
If you want to run dual channel, you can on an i7. One i5 processor is considerbaly cheaper than the 920, which is the 2.66ghz one. They do have a TDP of 95W though, which maybe dersiable to some. With Intels prices of the i5 line, it seems like they're planning on selling a lot of the 2.66Ghz, and not so much the higher clocked ones.

well i5 will have the 32nm Clarksfield w/ integrated graphics. Thats why I was saying if someone didn't want discrete graphics and such they could opt for i5 instead of i7.

edit: Plus from what I'm reading there's no XE i5's so if you want a high end chip then i7 is the way to go.
Let's put it this way. If you want new tech and you don't care about discrete graphics then i5 is the way to go otherwise your going to have to fork over money for a gpu.

I can this is a good option only if the P55 boards are cheap, the chips are cheap, and are at least on par with the core2quads(just as good...but more up to date socket for "future proofing")

Ah, got ya. Intergrated graphics. That's going to be a big part of it I'm sure. Now it's a bit more clear :)

I doubt Intel is going to come out with anything that's going to perform sub par to the Core2quads, wouldn't make any sense if they wanted to move any.

supposedly Mobo's will be in the $150 range but I'm sure they'll have some $300 ones and some cheaper $90 like the gigabyte p55 ds3l (lol just a guess)

any idea on just how well this Intergrated graphics will be with the i5's?
would it be better than most onboard graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom