Core i5 Will Have A Lower QPI Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
A few days ago, sources have revealed to us, Intel's Core i5 (Lynnfield) will feature a lower QPI multiplier than Core i7.

Intel's 5 Series mobos will be switched to single-chip design, and the PCIE 2.0 controller will be integrated into the CPU. Even this they use QPI bus inside the CPU to connect the PCIE interface, and use the DMI bus to connect with the ICH.

As we know, QPI restricts the CPU's overclocking performance. Take the Core i7 965 as an example, it comes with 6.4GT/s QPI data rate, 24x multiplier and 133MHz BCLK. Due to the limit of QPI speed (8GT/s), its maximum BCLK can only achieve 166MHz at 24x.

But according to our source, the QPI multiplier of Core i5 will be set lower at 16x, so you'll get a higher BCLK around 250MHz. When you overclock the BCLK, the QPI interface will overclock as well.

Core i5 Will Have A Lower QPI Multiplier - Expreview.com

Not sure I like this. Are they saying the cutoff for overclocking with a locked multiplier is 4ghz? Cause that's what it seems doing the math.

It's nice to see a higher BLCK, but the end result is what I'm worried about. With an unlocked multiplier, that would be one thing, but I'm assuming the lower i5 doesn't have that. :p

Unless I'm completely wrong at how this is going to affect overclocking, in which case, please feel free to correct me, lol.

i5 has an extreme edition. Atleast that is what I read

edit: Now that I'm questioning myself, I'm not completely sure if I'm correct. I think I posted some info about it last week

I know that mate, lol. But I'm pretty sure none of us will be buying an extreme edition. Hence my worry about the non-extreme editions; IE the ones we will actually buy. It sounds like there's a 4ghz wall on those...which is why I was iffy.

From what I see right now. Nothing mentions Lynnfield XE but there will be a Clarksfield XE. Plus I think they want consumers to move to i7 for highend gear so a XE wouldn't make sense for them for i5. They are freaking confusing me. So much data in my head and I don't know what goes to what.

I'm not seeing where the i5 is compelling at that price point. If you have $250+ to spend on a CPU, why not go with the i7? Even with the mobo and RAM difference, I can't see the price being more than $100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom