Core i5 and i3 Branding

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is correct.

but there will some cpu's on other chipsets that will be just as good or better than the i7 in the future aswell.

but i think the spirit of your question is, will x58 chipset have more life in it, and the answer is yes.

Okay because I don't want to buy this i7 then in a year not be able to upgrade anything. Since I am pooring my soul into this build (my soul cheap:p) intel better give me some upgrade room.

Well take solace in the fact that you won't have to upgrade for more than a year, unless you're really itching for it. ;) i7 is plenty powerful to last you a while.

Lol good. I am going into game design after I get my AA so maybe in a year or two I will upgrade to the i9 :D.. This multiple socket crap is bs though. Why P.O. your customer base?

Just look at sockets 478/775, and 754/939. It's happened before, though this is some new form of crazy.

Its a new form to lose your intellegent customer base. Why can't anyone just make the same socket? I think intels marketing area is under cover amd. "Lets confuse the crap out of everyone so they quit buying intel. Its a conspiracy! okay probably not. It still just doesnt makes sense! rant off

Actually, if you want to be technical, AMD's socket setup is less confusing now, sort of. AM2/AM2+ work together, AM3 works in AM2+/AM3 motherboards, nothing but AM3 works in AM3 boards.

But now we have 775, 1156, and 1366. There's going to be two versions of i7s. 775 just came out with those low power quads a bit ago even though it's basically going to be a dead socket soon. 1366 is making a move to server type stuff, besides the i9. And before it's even released, 1156 is slated to be the new default socket.

It was bad enough when they had P4s on 423. 478, and 775. Now it's just some big cluster-somethingorother.

i really dont see where all the confusion is.

every cpu you buy has what socket it supports on the details page, and most of them even have it in the product title line. and all motherboards say what socket they are on the title line.

is the average shopper really that bad at matching the two up?

I can see plenty of confusion, especially since one "brand" will span two sockets. PLUS keeping the Pentium and Celeron names to toss into the mix. we're going to have people on here looking for help with an Intel rig, but now we will have to discern which socket before the name of the chip can even be brought into play.

If Intel wants to play the high/mid/low market game, make Pentium/Celeron stay as 775, put i3/i5 as 1156, and i7/i9 as 1366. The CPU will govern the chipset as to what features it can handle. If they want to kill 775, put Pentium/Celeron in the 1156 letting the chips rank as i5 - i3 - Pentium - Celeron.

Of course this will never happen... it makes too much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom