Core i5 CPU specs, prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I can think of is that they are going to use 1366 as a Server/ desktop platform. Usually theres two sockets anyways one for server use and another for desktop use. Future Xeon's will be 1366 and hopefully their Octo core will be.

Normally, there's more than 2 sockets, then one comes out ahead. 478 and 775, 754 and 939, the like. I don't understand why they would make consumer level (even though it is very high end) 1366 setups, then turn around and start turning all future 1366 setups into servers? Wouldn't make a lot of sense. It just sounds like to me they are making a low end and a high end, and separating them with the gap of a different socket.

But then what would become of the i7 920, 940, and 965? That would be the only desktop ones made for 1366?

well 940 and 965 are ditched for 950 and 975. 1366 is a very powerful platform and they already have dual socket 1366 mobos so there isn't a need to make another socket for Server based systems. Supposedly Gulftown is 1366 so thats alot of R&D they would have thrown away for a different socket for Server based systems.
Their main competitors is SunMicrosystems and IBM and Nehalem is a great platform. This is all speculation so I could totally be wrong.

edit: I don't see 1366 going anywhere because of their timeline. Gulftown should be based on it and according to Intel Gulftown is going to be where they start to introduce many core processors

I wonder when 775 is going to officially die out. There will be three socket types for consumer level at the same time. I guess with the introduction of the i5s, the "lower footprint" 775s will be the last CPUs developed for the socket.

I don't see 775 going away for a long time. I wonder if they even plan on killing it? Just think about how much of the computer market uses 775. The $400-$800 range for a PC is a BIG part. Intel has to have something for that market segment. With the cost of DDR3 1333 and core i5 that wouldn't be possible.

DDR3 prices are dropping steadily, though. With the budget i5's, you can get a nice machine for under a grand now. I don't think support for 775 is going away, but they aren't going to put any newer CPUs on it, wouldn't make much sense. They'll push for more budgeted CPUs on the 1156 socket and move on, supporting 775 much like they were supporting 478 for a while, until it finally fizzles. 775 has to be one of the longest lasting sockets ever, it's been around for a ridiculously long time.

Would kinda be a waste, if you ask me...especially considering the E8600 is 270 bucks already, an E8700 wouldn't be that great of a deal for the cost.

Well yeah, I agree....but if it were cheaper it would be good. I kind of miss my 4.7GHz 24/7 clock on my E8500...I wonder what the E8700 would be capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom