Core i5 CPU specs, prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't intel state these wouldn't be as overclockable as i7? If not then im pretty sad... maybe i should have waited for i5

I think these will be great for the single card users, but sli/cfx users will definitely want i7

All I am wondering is why are they bringing out a new socket type? Are they planning on supporting both sockets with new CPUs? Sounds like a lot of work to me... I think for simplicity sake they should have just stuck with one socket type and a few different types of CPUs like LGA775 had Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and Pentium Dual Core.

All I am wondering is why are they bringing out a new socket type? Are they planning on supporting both sockets with new CPUs? Sounds like a lot of work to me... I think for simplicity sake they should have just stuck with one socket type and a few different types of CPUs like LGA775 had Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and Pentium Dual Core.

I know, I don't get it either? Socket 775 lasted for a really long time. What's the point of coming out with a whole new socket for a different series of CPUs? Is calling a CPU line i5 instead of i7 not enough to distinguish a difference?

They are planning on supporting both sockets for a while, Intel has already announced 6 core 32nm cpu's that will be compatible with the current lga 1366 x58 boards.

I'm not really sure why they want two sockets though.

I still think it's a really dumb move. They could have used the same socket 1366, but made lower end boards, like P45>P43...or in this case, x58>x55/P55. But I guess in the end, either way it doesn't matter, it gets the same result. I dunno, it's a weird situation. I just feel like it would keep people's options open.

If I had to guess, it's probably because of the triple channel to dual channel DDR3. I guess they wanted to separate the two.

Yeah the same socket would probably have increased the market, making easier upgrades, and builds fitting greater price ranges.

It still seems like an i5 build would be a great budget system. I'll be looking into it come October.

I still think it's a really dumb move.

Only thing I can think of is that they are going to use 1366 as a Server/ desktop platform. Usually theres two sockets anyways one for server use and another for desktop use. Future Xeon's will be 1366 and hopefully their Octo core will be.

Only thing I can think of is that they are going to use 1366 as a Server/ desktop platform. Usually theres two sockets anyways one for server use and another for desktop use. Future Xeon's will be 1366 and hopefully their Octo core will be.

But then what would become of the i7 920, 940, and 965? That would be the only desktop ones made for 1366?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom