Coming Soon: GTX 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
NVIDIA to release another high-end GTX 400 card soon :: TweakTown

With the new top dogs released in their latest generation of cards, NVIDIA shifts its attention to the mid and lower market segments and we await DX11 models in these lower market segments. But the latest word from EXPreview gives sign that there will be at least one more member to enter the GTX 400 series line-up, too.

rkya34.jpg

NVIDIA will apparently be branding this card the GeForce GTX 460; it will position this card to hit the market with similar pricing to ATI's HD 5850 in the sub-$300 segment.

This GF100 card will include 1GB of GDDR5 memory on a 256-bit interface, but clock rates and stream processor count is yet to leak out.

NVIDIA is said to be giving AIC's their own design rights on the GTX 460 model, meaning there should be a good mixup of GTX 460 based cards on the market quickly following launch as companies fight it out to get the most attention.

EXPreview state that this new SKU is scheduled for launch in early June.

Cool that they are bringing out more cards. But I don't understand their pricing, if the 470 struggles with competing against the 5850 and still cost more, then why put this card (assuming that it doesn't even trade blows with the 5850) at the same price as a 5850?

yeah, idk how that's gonna work either.

i guess people who want to remain loyal to nvidia will likely still buy it anyway, even if it doesn't perform as well as similarly priced competition.

why's it coming out so much later?

If the specs are anything like the gtx 470-480 it's gonna be another flop...but if nvidia can pull off some sort of die shrink or tune up that lowers heat/wattage usage and gives it some good performance it might be worth it

why's it coming out so much later?

If the specs are anything like the gtx 470-480 it's gonna be another flop...but if nvidia can pull off some sort of die shrink or tune up that lowers heat/wattage usage and gives it some good performance it might be worth it

Don't expect a die shrink anytime soon. TSMC seems to be having every bit as much trouble with their next node (I think it's 28nm) as they did with 40nm and Nvidia's CEO has publicly stated that they would not switch to Global Foundries.

Need more competition in this market...sucks only having 2 card providers and only like 2-3 fabrication companies. Stuff gets slowed down to much :( I wish intel would of kept up with the larabee thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom