Cisco unveils ultra-fast 322 Tb/s Internet technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean what I could do to make things faster. I mean what makes this connection faster than other types of connections. What separates it from the rest to make it so much better? I know the cable length and composition have a lot to do with it. But this is a serious leap...so why is it so much faster?

Oh
f05cb495983155f7bcea9b20381f74a9.gif
hmm interesting indeed...I got no idea :umm:, they're just pr0 :p. Now I'm wondering the same :p.

Perfect example: Power.....it originates at the power plant and spreads throughout. So in this case, where does the connection speed originate?

It's not like that for data. The Internet is the InterNET. The only "viable" source I can think of is Al Gore's estate :p

in the foreseeable future lets focus on googles trial fiber op thats claiming 1 Gb/s and japan's proposed "kizuna" satellite thats theoretically 1.2 Gb/s....to me that blows my mind...i did a speed test here on campus on the intranet (i believe thats the right word...its a gov server that we have to log into the filter is so **** high its unreal) is running at 1Mb/s....i'm from minneapolis so i guess i'm spoiled cause that is PAINFULLY slow...i cant even watch streaming video...my son is almost 3 and i cant keep from thinking its a very beautiful future for him...its amazing how quick technology is leaping forward

It's not like that for data. The Internet is the InterNET. The only "viable" source I can think of is Al Gore's estate :p

I know it's not really like that for data..but what I'm saying is...what makes it faster and why do you need new tech like this to enable it?

I know the internet is just one big network basically with all computer hooked into it but why can't all internet speeds go the same speed like a local network would with ethernet cables?

Is it the way packets are sent/received, cable composition, cable length, etc etc etc?

And if it originates no where, then why do ISP's get to control bandwidth? It's like an invisible substance that originates from no where?

I just don't get it...lol....

It has to do with the technology the ISP is using to bring the signal to your home.

For instance, ADSL2+ can reach 24Mbps but you have to be in a 2Km radius from the DSLAM, the equipmant of the ISP in your local "station" (don't know the right term for this). The more far you are from the DSLAM lower is the speed you get. For everyone to get 24Mbps the ISP has to install a lot of DSLAMs so the clients be in the 2Km radius. In a big city this investment pays off because the clients are very close to each other, but if you live in a remote area where the houses are far from each others this investment doesn't pay off.
On the other hand fiber optics can reach a lot more, if I'm not mistaken we don't know the theoretical limit of the fiber optic, and for residential access it can reach up to 15Km, using GPON technology. The limitation is in the equipment, the amount of information it can process and transmit to the fiber optic. And install FO to your house isn't cheap.

Notice that when you subscribe for a 24Mbps access the ISP only guaranties that speed between your house and the DSLAM. Your speed will be limited also by the uplink speed of the DSLAM to the backbone network. Here in Portugal the rule is 34Mbps or 155Mbps uplink for each DSLAM. This means if the DSLAM has a 155Mbps uplink and 20 people with a 24Mbps subscription start to download a file at the same time they won't reach their maximum speed, only 155/20, approximately 8Mbps. This is true for every technology used.

You can be capped not in the DSLAM uplink but in the link between ISPs, these links cost a lot of money so the ISP doesn't rent a link with the total capacity needed if all their clients decide to request an object from the same ISP. They do some math and rent a percentage only, so if there are more customers that they predicted requesting information from another ISP then you won't have the full bandwidth you subscribed from the ISP.

Hope this isn't very confused but I don't have much time to write and my english isn't that good :p

I didn't mean what I could do to make things faster. I mean what makes this connection faster than other types of connections. What separates it from the rest to make it so much better? I know the cable length and composition have a lot to do with it. But this is a serious leap...so why is it so much faster?

It's all to do with improvements in end and middlestation hardware and software. E.g. to process a packet, current software on a router might take 1ms. Then some genius writes new software which means that same packet goes through in 100uS instead. Which means 10 packets can now be sent where only 1 could previously, which means faster speed for users. etc. etc. etc.

the 'connection speed' is basically how fast two (or more) bits of hardware can push data around to eachother and also how much data they can push through.

In the end Cat5 is still Cat5, and cable is still cable. It doesn't matter what's on the backend if the media can't get it to the end users any faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom