Cisco unveils ultra-fast 322 Tb/s Internet technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
Amazing! :omg: Maybe AT&T should get on board so they can handle all the iPhone users :p

The new technology, known as "CRS-3," is a network routing system that will be able to offer downloads of up to 322 Terabits per second, according to the company.

Translation: Well in Cisco terms, the router will be able to provide download speeds of 1 Gigabit per second for everyone in San Francisco, download the entire printed collection of the Library of Congress in 1 second and stream every movie ever created in less than 4 minutes.
Cisco unveils ultra-fast Internet technology - Mar. 9, 2010

And just like that perfect babe email that circulated at your work a few days ago, this is something you'll see/hear about but never get any hands-on alone time with :p

Blah main ISP here just started advertising "Peak speeds of 8mb/s!!!"

Fine print: to some customers, speed is not regular.

I'm stuck at 1-3mbs :(

And just like that perfect babe email that circulated at your work a few days ago, this is something you'll see/hear about but never get any hands-on alone time with :p

lol yea they leave out the part that you have to live next door to the ISP and junk like that in order to get anywhere near the speed

Especially when the routers start at $90K. No small ISPs will be able to afford that kind of capital.

Especially when the routers start at $90K. No small ISPs will be able to afford that kind of capital.

I'm sure it'd be a good investment though.

My area for example: A lot of people can't even get dsl even though it runs on phone lines because everyone is so far apart. So most people have to resort to ISP's like hughsnet or whatever it is that's like $100+/month for like 768kb/s-1.5mb/s speed. So if you could just run this and get 1.5mb/s + to those people I'm sure you could still make a nice profit while still being cheaper

I'm confused at how this works...or how the internet works in general. Where does the "speed" originate from..and how do you make it faster?

My area for example: A lot of people can't even get dsl even though it runs on phone lines because everyone is so far apart. So most people have to resort to ISP's like hughsnet or whatever it is that's like $100+/month for like 768kb/s-1.5mb/s speed. So if you could just run this and get 1.5mb/s + to those people I'm sure you could still make a nice profit while still being cheaper

I'm confused at how this works...or how the internet works in general. Where does the "speed" originate from..and how do you make it faster?
Internet is just a laaaaaaarge connection of computers all over the world in general. That's pretty much the basic interpretation I think of. As for speed, it differs as to type of connection/medium, distance, interference etc. You can't really make it faster (I'm not totally sure), has programs out there for tweaking your settings to offer max output but the main source of speed lies in your ISP (with all the limitations such as distance, interfernece, etc.) which you can't really sort out by yourself.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me :D!

A lot of it is in the form of transmission, but in this case I believe it's the way they route the packets through the hardware. I'm not entirely sure. Look at the following chart though, it looks like the fastest form of transmission is OC768 which is 40 Gb/s...much, much slower than the claimed 322 Tb/s.
Bandwidth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom