Cell processors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try finding information on a possible release for desktop apps, but there's really nothing out there. There really isn't much info on cell processors, period. Maybe people will realize how good this technology is when the PS3 comes out?

cell tech isn't what alot of people believe it is. It is NOT a multi purpose processor, it is a SPE. Good for flops, but not branching. It would probobably be just as effective to have one of the aegia physX cards, because they essentially do the same thing.

i heard it had 256 bit and 8 cores, for a desktop for personal use the most you ever need is 2 cores. the only thing i like is the 256 bit processing power but why bother we are still working on making 64 apps for everything in 64 bit format not 32(2/3 way there..).

It might be too ahead of it's time for computers now at least but would be good for enterprize severs..

Remember the days of when 128mb ram was a **** load & was uneeded. Now adays we cant live without it. So eventually, some crazy OS/program/game will need those 8 cores.

sonanse said:
i heard it had 256 bit and 8 cores, for a desktop for personal use the most you ever need is 2 cores. the only thing i like is the 256 bit processing power but why bother we are still working on making 64 apps for everything in 64 bit format not 32(2/3 way there..).

It might be too ahead of it's time for computers now at least but would be good for enterprize severs..
LOL not with the Upcoming Windows Vista, you'll need that processing power.

8 cores isnt correct though, it has 3 cores (just like the Xbox 360) and I believe it is 128Bit but the crazy part is that the kind of processor would support up to 2PB of Ram (Yes 2 pada bytes ..however it is spelled) WHO IN THE WORLD NEEDS 2PB though? And it would support ELBA (Extremely Large Block Access) This would make it possible for hard drives larger then 10PB but we dont have that technology to make that big of an HD (Or does the Government?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom