Bit Torrent ignorance

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkinman86

Baseband Member
I'm trying to learn how to download non-copyrighted media from the internet and find that I'm somewhat of a dinosaur.
Limewire is now apparently gone, and so I've downloaded Frostwire. The problem is, I have no idea what a bit torrent is or how to use them. Can anyone out there help me out?

BitTorrent (protocol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol used for distributing large amounts of data. BitTorrent is one of the most common protocols for transferring large files, and it has been estimated that it accounted for roughly 27% to 55% of all Internet traffic (depending on geographical location) as of February 2009.

BitTorrent applications allow you to use this protocol. I recommend uTorrent.
Download - µTorrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

Also, AFAIK there are no legitimate uses for Frostwire or Limewire.

Basically it is this. You get a Torrent file that will lead programs such as µTorrent to the files associated with that .torrent file. Since we have very strict rules about what can be discussed about such matters, i will say that there are plenty of places to go to find out how to download via torrent. I can say that I never found anything that wasnt a copyright violation on Limewire or FrostWire. It is for that reason I am directing you to other sites for guides on how to use torrents.

Actually I do believe Limewire is now a pay thing like iTunes for music. Correct me if I'm wrong, just the latest I heard about it. I haven't used it for a LONG time.

Actually I do believe Limewire is now a pay thing like iTunes for music. Correct me if I'm wrong, just the latest I heard about it. I haven't used it for a LONG time.

They've been shut down for a little while now.

See their website:

LIMEWIRE IS UNDER A COURT ORDER DATED OCTOBER 26, 2010 TO STOP DISTRIBUTING THE LIMEWIRE SOFTWARE. A COPY OF THE INJUNCTION CAN BE FOUND HERE. LIMEWIRE LLC, ITS DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS, ARE TAKING ALL STEPS TO COMPLY WITH THE INJUNCTION. WE HAVE VERY RECENTLY BECOME AWARE OF UNAUTHORIZED APPLICATIONS ON THE INTERNET PURPORTING TO USE THE LIMEWIRE NAME. WE DEMAND THAT ALL PERSONS USING THE LIMEWIRE SOFTWARE, NAME, OR TRADEMARK IN ORDER TO UPLOAD OR DOWNLOAD COPYRIGHTED WORKS IN ANY MANNER CEASE AND DESIST FROM DOING SO. WE FURTHER REMIND YOU THAT THE UNAUTHORIZED UPLOADING AND DOWNLOADING OF COPYRIGHTED WORKS IS ILLEGAL. IF YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED LIMEWIRE SOFTWARE IN THE PAST, FILES ON YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTERS CONTAINING PRIVATE OR SENSITIVE INFORMATION MAY HAVE BEEN INADVERTENTLY SHARED AND YOU SHOULD USE YOUR BEST EFFORTS TO REMOVE THE SOFTWARE FROM YOUR COMPUTERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom