Better JPEG standard due in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
JPEG XR offers a few advantages over JPEG, according to Microsoft. For one thing, as the XR "extended range" abbreviation suggests, it offers greater dynamic range--the span between the brightest brights and darkest darks in a photo.

JPEG uses 8-bit encoding that provides 256 gradations, but JPEG XR can use 16 bits or more for finer distinctions and more editing flexibility. Newer digital SLRs typically record 14 bits data, and the hobbyist practice of combining multiple shots into a single high-dynamic range image also benefits from more bit depth.

Another advantage of JPEG XR is that it uses a more efficient compression algorithm that provides either twice the image quality as JPEG at the same file size, or half the file size for the same quality, according to Microsoft. And unlike JPEG, setting JPEG XR to record at its highest quality level loses no information to compression artifacts.
I like what I see

source: Better JPEG standard due in 2009 | Underexposed

Hooray! I save all my images as png tho so... Still, I'll be glad to see all those random blobs of fuzz you see gone.

raw is a format photographers shoot in. it captures the scene exacly as the camera sensor sees it. you end up wiht a huge file sometimes up to 15mb. you then have to convert it to jpeg, but select the details you want the image compresses and you end up with a jpeg. shooting in raw then covnertign to jpeg gives you a nice image.

raw to photography is equal to wave in audio.

Both are the highest quality uncompressed formats...the "master" image or audio file.

which is why I don't go to you when I want to record a song..

And I think it's wierd that there going to such lengths to 'improve' the quality of jpeg when it's only use is lolcats, fail pics and internet pics that if need to be higher quality are saved as something other than a jpg. I think jpg does what it does great, which is to create a pic file that's small in size and doesn't look like total balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom