Battery That 'Charges in Seconds'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Battery That 'Charges in Seconds'

When you see a news item that involves a discovery like this, you just know it had to somehow involve the gang at MIT.

A new manufacturing method for lithium-ion batteries could lead to smaller, lighter batteries that can be charged in just seconds. Batteries that discharge just as quickly would be useful for electric and hybrid cars, where a quick jolt of charge is needed for acceleration.

They have been working on those things for years at MIT, I remember a 3 hour doc on discovery last year about the research on it.

This is what I have been waiting for, now just add a solar panel to it and we have free energy!

yea..but the faster something charges the quicker it goes out.

So how long does this last? I can't remember exact wording..but something they said made it sound like it was only good for a short burst. So what's the use of charging in 20 seconds if you only get a minute out of it?

yea..but the faster something charges the quicker it goes out.

So how long does this last? I can't remember exact wording..but something they said made it sound like it was only good for a short burst. So what's the use of charging in 20 seconds if you only get a minute out of it?

Extra boost of power for an emergency phone call if your cell is dead.

the problem is there's a limit on how much power a wall charger could put into one of these batteries once they become commercially viable (NPR interview said 5 yrs).

yea they can fully charge in seconds, but with a special power supply in a lab. standard residential current isn't enough for a seconds-only charge. instead, you'd have to wait a minute or two. boohoo, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom