ATT CallVantage (VoIP) phone service reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
Has anyone used or switch to the new ATT CallVantage home phone service that runs on your high-speed internet connection, such as DSL or Cable Modem?

I just got mail from AT&T telling me about their service. I'm thinking it is a good deal, AS LONG as it works. While it would be cheaper, I want to make sure it is completely cheaper (add up all the fees, extra equipment, etc)

Their introductory offer is for $19.99 a month for 6 months, no setup fee, and you get the "telephone adapter".
However, I see you also need caller id equipment, which is not included.

How much is that?

Anyway, I'm in Texas and I think it is being offered in other states, etc.

Has anyone been using it? Or switched to the new service?
Does it work? Is it worth it? I'm currious to see what Time-Warner Cable (RoadRunner) says about using their network for voice (VoIP).
Does the cable company even know? Can they find out?

So, as this is the first post in the "New Technology Services" forum, I hope this gets lots of reviews :)

Thanks
Larry

One of the conmpanies we provide support for uses VoIP for their support lines. I wouldnt know the difference on my end. :)

So are you saying the service is "perfect". Meaning no lack in quality over a land line?

Most companies that use VoIP are using a dedicated lines, as it cost money to set it up.

Most home users don't have dedicated lines (T1, etc) They have DSL or Cable --- while they maybe "dedicated" they are not the same as T1.

So has anyone used a VoIP in the home? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

voip is good

Hi, I am new here. I've used an USB based peer to peer voip called Taichi VoIP from IPmental since 2002. I'd says it was great starting to use voip for so long and with the saving, it was great with either 56K dial up or ADSL.

The ATT voip is really an RJ45 based voip trying to replace local phone. The last time I hook up the T502 from IPmenta (a SIP based so with proper configuration, would work with any SIP voip service), I noticed a significant decrease in the web download speed (in both cable and ADSL). There was a QoS management function in most of these RJ45 gateway but I am not sure if this is something that has to be configured.

Although I've not yet used a "monthly charged" type voip service, I'd say that if a product from 2002 can be perfectly set up with 56K dial up, today's newer generation Voip technology will work fine.

I will still keep my local phone. over here in Canada, we pay CND$30 a month for unlimited local calling and use the Taichi for long distance.

I'm using the Vonage service and have been for 4 months now. It's great. Only $15/month for 500 minutes. They also have an unlimited plan for $30/month. The only disadvantage is if your power goes out or internet goes out. I kept my old cell phone just in case I need to dial 911 (no service required). The quality is definitely equal or better than landlines and a whole lot better than cells.

We use broadband... Signed up with ATT CallVantage about 1 month ago and love it! I haven't noticed any loss of quality over landline. The features are tremendous! As a parent with three teens one of my favorite features is the call log that not only shows all incoming calls, but also all outgoing calls.

We have just recently subscribed to a VOIP called Vonage here at VCU purely for testing. I would say its flawless in quality and can end long distance charges.

ya at the bestbuy i work at...we sell out of those vontage things the day they come in. its an awesome deal for getting every feature that you normally pay extra for. normally the fcc taxes the phone lines and thats why things cost extra.i.e. caller id, 3rd line, call waiting. this is VoIP so no FCC or CIA ; ) listening in on your convos

-Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom