ATI readies OEM Special: SuperRV770 to challenge GeForce GTX 260, 280

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
From the article:
The "Super RV770" will arrive with pre-installed water-cooling and features unlocked BIOS, which enables the GPU to be pushed all the way to 950 MHz, while the memory can be pushed to 4.8 GT/s (1.2 GHz QDR). According to our sources, you may be able to push the GPU even beyond 1 GHz, if you use TEC elements, and keep the temperature of GPU low.

At 4.8 GT/s, the "Super RV770" can achieve a bandwidth of 150 GB/s, taking the crown from the GeForce GTX 280. The RV770 chip has a 256-bit (32-byte) interface, which means we can calculate the bandwidth in the following way:

ATI RV770: 32-byte x 4.8 Billion Transfers/sec = 150 GB/s
Nvidia GT200: 64-byte x 2.2 Billion Transfers/sec = 138.37 GB/s

Not surprisingly, the first "Super RV770" product is already out. Diamond Multimedia teamed up with Danger Den and Smooth Creations to launch the "ATI Radeon HD 4870 XOC Black Edition".

Diamond clocked the core of its Super RV770 at 800 MHz and the memory at 4.4 GT/s (1100 MHz QDR). There is some room for overclocking left, as Diamond its own version of an unlocked BIOS and the board can be propelled up to 950 MHz for the GPU and 1200 MHz for the memory.

TG Daily - ATI readies OEM special: SuperRV770 to challenge GeForce GTX 260, 280

Sounds like ATI's cards are far more capable than we thought, and the first versions were simply playing it very safe. If this all ends up true, I can easily see a 4870X2 XOC Black Edition that tears the pants off of GTX 280 and sends them at near relativistic speeds straight into Polaris!

Good stuff. The 4870XT has a very beefy power circuit which is totally overkill for a mere 750mhz. It will come in handy as you push up the frequencies though.

well the 3k series were oc'ing champs in my mind, so i wouldn't expect any less from the 4k series :) look forward to some new 3dmark06/vantage records to be broken. 40k anyone?

Yep, i fully plan to go for 1ghz on the core with my 4870s once i get the watercooling loop set up.

A stock 4870 beats a stock 260 most of the times. An XT version (Or OCed one) would destroy a stock 260 hands down...

If both cards are equally overclocked (percentage wise) I still think a 4870 would beat the 260 the majority of times..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom