ATI re-branded to AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
AMD kills ATI brand, you can look forward to blood-stained Radeons -- Engadget

This, dear friends, is a sad, sad day. ATI, the name of hope for all PC gamers who were sick and tired of NVIDIA rebadging the same GPU over the past couple of years, is to be no more. The callous souls over at AMD have decided that our little consumer brains aren't sophisticated enough to handle two awesome brands, so they're just axing the use of the ATI moniker from here on out. Product line names will be retained, with the Radeon and FirePro branding still intact, but ATI Eyefinity will now be known as AMD Eyefinity. The first graphics cards to, erm, benefit from the new nomenclature will ship "later this year," and the whole thing is said to have been motivated by AMD's move to Fusion APUs -- hybrid CPU and GPU chips -- where it's considered beneficial to have a unified branding strategy. Great, but did anyone consider the fact that the graphics wars will now be fought between two teams wearing green jerseys?

I'm surprised that they took this long to do it. I figured they would have ran with ATI/AMD for the first couple of years and then dropped the ATI then.

I'm not really digging this move from a business standpoint. The outlook for the average consumer was previously Nvidia and ATI. Without ATI, you have Nvidia. Yes, we all know ATI is now AMD and a very worthy competitor of Nvidia - but there will be far more people who don't know that than who DO know that...

Now Puddle Jumper is going to have to change the picture in his signature to "Intel + AMD, The way it's meant to be played."

That will look very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom